• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Not Albin Related, Work Sadly!

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Not Albin Related, Work Sadly!

Post by Tree »

Morning All,

I'm just putting this out there as an off chance but are any of you engineers or run your own factory?

Reason being, one of my American clients has asked me to price up an enclosure as a test piece, but the enclosure seems not available outside of the US and the company that manufactures them isn't willing to ship a blank enclosure to the UK.

So I thought the obvious thing is to have it made in the States and then ship it to the UK?

If anyone might be able to help, please let me know.

cheers

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: Not Albin Related, Work Sadly!

Post by eseyoung »

enclosure...what are we talking here? for a yacht? I am an engineer by training but I am currently working in education. If shipping isn't cost prohibitive, why not have the American client buy the blank from the manufacture and ship to you?

If you need a point of contact/US domestic shipping address or if you need some working drawings and/or 3d CAD models please let me know.

If this is a larger 'enclosure' i am near the Port of Baltimore, I know of several companies who do RO-RO and container freight consolidation.

PM me if i can help you out...
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

eseyoung wrote:enclosure...what are we talking here? for a yacht? I am an engineer by training but I am currently working in education. If shipping isn't cost prohibitive, why not have the American client buy the blank from the manufacture and ship to you?

If you need a point of contact/US domestic shipping address or if you need some working drawings and/or 3d CAD models please let me know.

If this is a larger 'enclosure' i am near the Port of Baltimore, I know of several companies who do RO-RO and container freight consolidation.

PM me if i can help you out...

Thanks for the reply - the enclosure isn't big at all, literally 9"x 6" x 4" - had it have been a large item, i'd have spoken with Peters and May who shipped my Albin over here.

It's one of those little jobs that isn't worth anyones time just to arrange shipping of the box, but it may be worth someones time doing the entire job (machining and silkscreen printing) and then sending the finished package over here for me to pass on to my client.

I really can't see why the box manufacturer won't just give me a price for shipping to the UK included!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

well, my offer stands. I'll ship it to you if you can get it to me.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Many thanks - I'll look into the shipping costs if I can get the weight and overall dimensions and go from there as i need to provide the client with the quotation before they place the order.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I own a machine shop. Is there something I can help with? Sounds like a sheet metal box with some cutouts and silk screening.
Do you have prints of the enclosure?

My company manufactures test equipment for printed circuit board test. We build sheet metal test boxes of various sizes to adapt to customer's testing requirements.

Send me a pm and I'll get you my contact info.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I am curious. what type of material and what type of enclosure do you ant built
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Serenity wrote:I am curious. what type of material and what type of enclosure do you ant built
Basically, its an off the shelf plastic box that needs holes machining in to it and then silkscreening details to be applied to it.

I'm just about to send Jack the drawings as the enclosure supplier doesn't seem to want to ship it to the UK for me to do the final machining and silkscreen - so I figured, lets get a firm in the States to finish the blank box for me and give me a price for the completed job and shipping.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Return to “General Discussion”