• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member in Monterey, CA

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

New Member in Monterey, CA

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

Greetings from California!! As a 5 year owner of a 1999 Albin 28 TE (hard enclosure), I just became aware of AOG. This is a great find as Albins are not that common on the Pacific coast. I'm looking forward to reviewing all the knowledge that I see under the various topic headings.

Background wise, I've been an active coastal cruiser and fisherman between San Francisco and Cabo San Lucas, MX for the last 20 years. Last year I completed a bucket list item by piloting the "Terry Lee II" from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas (750 miles) where we spent 6 months learning how to pilot a ship to catch marlin! We then proceeded north into the Sea of Cortez to explore the maze of islands and bays and meet the wonderful people along the way. Two months after leaving Cabo, we pulled the boat out at San Felipe, MX (near the mouth of the Colorado River) and towed her back to Monterey, CA (custom Albin 28 trailer). The ship experienced the full range of heavy sea conditions and performed flawlessly during this 1600 mile cruise. We had a hammock on the bow and a bunk over the engine cover!! Love this boat!
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: New Member in Monterey, CA

Post by RobS »

Mntry_Goodson wrote: We had a hammock on the bow and a bunk over the engine cover!!
Welcome aboard. Great experiences. We need pictures of that hammock and bunk!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

As requested, photos of the hammock and bunk/table used with engine cover.

I hope the two photo attachments come through; first time doing so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Very cool, thanks. Looks like beautiful cruising grounds. To where is the stern side of the hammock strung?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Welcome to AOG! Glad to have a new "old" owner!
RobS wrote:To where is the stern side of the hammock strung?
It does appear to be floating there magically! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

There is a 4" x 12" x 1/4" aluminum plate bolted to the top of the cabin forward of the windows. The hammock connects to a stainless "S" hook which goes through a hole drilled in the plate.
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome Fellow Northern California: Happy to see another Albin in area. Appears you are getting really great use of the 28 Albin towable. That is the feature I miss most. Our Albin is way up in the NW in Anacortes, Wa. as we have no real cruising locally although fine fishing out of Trinidad, Ca. This is a great wonderful and informative group.
We also have NW AOG that has had Rendevous the past two years. There is an AOG 28 Member out of Brookings, Or who has towed their's up to the Puget Sound for some fine cruising Think about that as an addition to your bucket list.
We would welcome your participation there with or without the boat. I try to drive up monthly but know of at last one Also a San Fran. non Albin boater who flys up on a regular basis. I fish locally with a 22' Osprey towable.
How is the fishing around Monterey?
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/Conv.
Last edited by whwells on Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

Thanks for the info! Actually, cruising the Puget Sound and the length of Vancouver Island on the inside is on my bucket list for 2015 or 2016. I also am looking at cruising the length of the Columbia up through the locks into eastern Idaho. Does the NW AOG communicate through this site?
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Darryl: You have an excellent bucket list. My decision to boat in the Puget Sound came from such a long time dream.
My wife and I lived in Yakima, Wa. for a few years during my Insurance Claims life with a transfer there for the company I worked for in Calif. We discovered the Widbey Island, & Hood River area during those years. . Thus my long time plan to return and cruise the beautiful calm waters and explore the islands. You probably could not get them all done if you take into consideration BC & Alaskain in most of our boating lifetimes.
We also spent sometime on the Columbia at Crescent Bar near Wenacthee, Wa. where a group of us built home made houseboats that we pulled with our ski boats. Those were weekends and vacations never to be forgotten.
Getting to your contact information: You can post on the Pacifice NW 4th Annual Rendezous section any questions you might have about the NW Crusiing. Likely those who are active at the Rendevous will be responsive to your inquiry.
Dave Kircher is the lead Organizer of the Rendevous although Pat Moynihan and I have acted as co-chair to help him get going and share some of the contact and organization. Whereever you post on the list you are likely to get a response from knowledeable locals.

We will meet at the Seattle Boat Show this year as a pre Rendezvous and plan the for the Summer meet now looking like late July. That informal dinner is both fun and gives the attending members an opportunity to help plan and choose dates and location. I will drive up for a few days to attend and also check the boat out in Anacortes. If you have time come and join us.

I am sure you can get information about the locks in the Columbia from some of the members. I do see posting from the San Fran/East Bay area from time to time of Albin owners there. The Port of Brookings, Or has 4 28te towable Albins. One of those is active on the AOG Site. There are 4 31'sTE in the Ancortes Marina & one active on the NW Rendevous section.
There is also a 42 Classic with an Idaho owner who is interested but the boat is current in the rental list & forsale.

If I can help in any way send me a personal message.

Nice to have you aboard.

Howard
Last edited by whwells on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chuckatuck Ray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Naval Sailing Center, Norfolk, Va.

Post by Chuckatuck Ray »

You definitely decked out your 28TE! The boat looks great and so does the view in the background. Did you have your trailer built or did it come with the purchase of the boat. I have a 1998 Albin 28TE that I purchased new. I never gave it any thought but, at times it would be nice to be able to trailer her for trips or storage.

Welcome to the group,
Chuckatuck Ray
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

Hello Ray. I had the trailer built by ABT Trailers in Los Angeles (www.ABTrailers.com ). The "bolt together" trailer is an aluminum I-beam, 3 axle with electric brakes using a standard hitch that cost $12,500. I pull it comfortably with my Dodge 3500 (diesel) pickup (non-dually). The trailer has a long neck which makes it easy for one person to load and unload at regular boat ramps with walkways. With the Albin 28 loaded it is 36' long from hitch to swim platform. I pulled the trailer and loaded boat across truckscales and it weighed in at 11,500# with about 800# added to the rear axle of the pickup. At the time (4 years ago) ABT told me they also prefab'd boat trailers in aluminum and shipped them to Hawaii without the axles (supplied later by buyer); they would probably do the same thing for East Coast orders.
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
Chuckatuck Ray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Naval Sailing Center, Norfolk, Va.

Post by Chuckatuck Ray »

Darryl, Thanks for the info. I will consider looking into it with ABT Trailers
Ray

Return to “New Member Introductions”