• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

31TE Pilothouse Seating

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

31TE Pilothouse Seating

Post by RobS »

Been looking at some 31TE's. They all seem to have this port side couch seating. Ok for sitting around but not ideal for when on the run.
31TE port side pilothouse seating.jpg
I would prefer a pedestal seat on the port side, has anyone done a modification here? Like where my red line is, end the couch there and have new back & seat cushions made up for a smaller couch area, and then mount a pedestal set where I put the green mark.
31TE port side pilothouse seating 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: 31TE Pilothouse Seating

Post by DougSea »

Looking at expanding Rob? :)

Certainly seems like your solution is possible. Might even do a variation where you split the backrest and bottom cushions forward so that they can be replaced when in port, allowing for a more social seating area.

Another thought - what would it take to make a larger, double helm seat? Get Erica snuggled right in there next to you. Make a pivot and swing it sideways out of the way when not in use.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

In my quest for the holy grail I did see one 31TE where the owner left the settee as is, but split the seat cushion roughly where you have drawn your red line and mounted a removable pedestal seat on top of the FRP seat where you have the green circle. When wanting to use the entire settee the pedestal seat could be moved to another mount in the cockpit port side up against the hardback and the seat cushion was placed back on the settee. A little bit of a step up to the companion seat pedestal, but with a box it was pretty easy and was a workable solution as that was a concern for me as well.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by robonurse »

I have a pedestal seat on the port side of my 31 TE. It hinders the forward seating on the couch but the visibility to my passenger is awesome. It is a compromise. Three bolts remove the pedestal seat (the base stays) when I want the couch to be more accessible.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

robonurse wrote:I have a pedestal seat on the port side of my 31 TE. It hinders the forward seating on the couch but the visibility to my passenger is awesome. It is a compromise. Three bolts remove the pedestal seat (the base stays) when I want the couch to be more accessible.
Could you post up a picture of your set-up? I'm looking for ideas and I know others would be appreciative too.

thanks
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by robonurse »

31-4.jpg
Not quite sure if I got this right. Here is a pic of the pedestal seat on my 31 TE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I'll bet you could make a table top that you could swap out for the seat if you wanted to serve or eat in the pilothouse.

And how about an adjustable (height) post to allow the seat to be lowered for more comfortable views aft?

All kinds of ways you could take this good start and build on it.

(Kevin - Are you looking at a 31? I'd love to see a new Pitou in the AOG family!!)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

DougSea wrote:(Kevin - Are you looking at a 31? I'd love to see a new Pitou in the AOG family!!)
Stand-by Doug ... :wink:

Thanks for the pic robonurse. Very much appreciated.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Been looking at some 31TE's. They all seem to have this port side couch seating. Ok for sitting around but not ideal for when on the run.
I'm with you. That is the only thing that I don't like about the 31. Robonurse - You may have solved my issue. Just a thought for my negotiations...what did that setup cost you?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by robonurse »

Hi John- That was in the boat when I bought it. At first I didn't like how it blocked part of the couch but my wife had no visibility. She is always my lookout. I put the seat back and its been there ever since. The mounting plate is through bolted with a support ring on the headliner in the aft cabin. I am able to remove the seat with 3 allen head bolts. It would be an easy installation. Just price good quality materials. I believe mine was purchased at Niemiec Marine in New Bedford. They have an extensive parts department and I'm sure could get one for you. They would also do the installation if you're not comfortable doing it.
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

What diameter is the post on your companion seat? If I were to put one in that tall, I would use a six inch diameter post. I think the four inch diameter post used on the 28 TE flush deck pilot seat is part of the reason it feels less than substantial. The other part is that it's mounted on the engine hatch, rather than a more rigid surface.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by robonurse »

The boat is winterized and covered so it's difficult for me to measure but I'd guess it is 5 or 6".

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”