• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Interested in a 35 TE

marden
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Rock Hall, MD

Interested in a 35 TE

Post by marden »

Folks...I'm new to the site, but not to boating. I've been on the water for 40 years and we recently sold our Tiara 42 Open this past summer. We have a Regulator 28, which is a great boat for fishing and fast cruising, but we miss having a boat we can sleep on for marina hopping, anchoring out, etc. We are looking at a 35 TE now...single Yanmar 440....probably slow, but i'm fine with the speed as i'm more interested in the efficiency and stability of the Albin.

I'm hoping that someone can offer suggestions on the 35 TE....what to look out for, possible issues, performance and stability, and overall comfort. My wife and I, and our two Rottweilers, will likely be cruising the 35 TE on the Chesapeake next Spring if a deal can be put together soon.

Appreciate any and all thoughts.

Mitch
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Interested in a 35 TE

Post by DougSea »

Hi Mitch,

Welcome to AOG.

There are a few variations on the 35TE. Galley up/down, flybridge, engines (you indicate single). What one are you looking at? I only see one single on YW, up in Mass. The only question that came to my mind when looking at that one was; how do you get in to the engine spaces? On our twin I open a center line hatch and drop down between the engines. That big Yanmar must fill that hatch space pretty completely so I'm wondering if Albin has a different setup on the singles. So I'd be checking that out.

The engine does seem a little small but if you're careful not to load up with too much "stuff" you should be fine.

Give us some more details and we'll help you out as best we can!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

The 35 TE is a great boat for the Chesapeake. I'd be happy to show you mine but it's got two Yanmars. Galley up with a flying bridge. Just south of Annapolis. It's on the hard after Thanksgiving
marden
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by marden »

Doug....thanks for your reply. The boat is located in the Northeast....she's a galley up model, single Yanmar, and looks, from the pictures, to be in good shape. Her hull looks a bit oxidized....could be the pictures, or might need either a wet sanding or fresh paint. I've asked my broker to get more info on the maintenance...up to date on oil/filter changes, trans fluid/filer changes, coolant flushing, etc? Hope to have this info tomorrow so we can determine next steps. But, i'd like to get to agreement on the price and then take a drive to inspect her soon.

In terms of engine room access...I've seen it on the 31, and its a little tight, and expect it will be the same on the 35 TE with the larger engine. As long as frequently serviced items are accessible, then we should be fine.

I'm most interested in whether there are any potential issues with the 35TE that you guys are aware of, and that we should be focused on. Leak issues, blistering, delamination problems, etc. In my research I haven't seen anything, but figured that folks on this site might be able to offer some guidance as we move forward.

Thanks again in advance.

Mitch
marden
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by marden »

Halcyon....thank you for your reply as well, and your offer to see your boat. We are in Rock Hall for Thanksgiving and have a jammed up weekend with guests, but perhaps at some other point after she's on land! Have a great Holiday!

Mitch
skye peak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skye peak »

I have a single engine (Cummins 480) galley down and access to engine room is a breeze. a full length
hatch on the port side and a drop down hatch to starboard after you swing up a section on the settee.

I am in Beaufort SC, and thinking of listing the boat in the near future if you would like to see her.
DestinSteve
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Destin, FL

Post by DestinSteve »

We have a single 450 Cummins 35 galley up and access is likely similar. You can drop down the main hatch behind the engine to access the Racor. You can then fairly easily squirm up either side of the motor. This is the only way to get to the galley side which for the Cummins is only for filter changes or heat exchanger service. For the other side there is an access door in the 2nd cabin that opens to easily get to the raw water thru hulls for motor and air conditioning, check oil, belt, and water pump on engine. You go into the engine room and sit on the outboard stringer and reach all the above. Again i assume the yanmar is similar in size and length. Access is quite good overall. I am not small or young and can put my hand on everything easily compared to only seeing the outboard side of twins with a mirror.
marden
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by marden »

Steve....thx for the reply.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Marden - That 35 TE is local to me and have seen her recently on the hard as I pass by. Happy to preview for any questions or concerns.

They had "Wine Down" all buffed up and looking good. I was considering a look for myself, but passed for the desire of more power in a single configuration ... a very tough thing to find in an Albin 35 TE. I've been looking for a very long time. Ken Hilton at Standish said I was looking for a needle in a haystack.

Let me know ... happy to jump aboard.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Marden: There are not a lot of the 35's around. There are even fewer out west. The twins are tight. The confront level and convenience with which they dock makes it worthwhile for me. On the otherhand there is a strong following for the single engine as it simply saves money.
The questions you asked about: bilstering, delamination & leaks. I have had none of those issues at all. My last boat before the Albin was a Luhrs. Leaking was an issue due to its design. Never want to have that problem again. Don't expect you will see that in other 35te.
Nibbles is a down galley with twin Yanmars. For a couple it is ideal. If you are looking at taking more people the up galley at least gives you the extra state room plus storage there if needed.
The Albin is the most seaworthly boat you will find for it's size.
Best of Luck in your search. Welcome to the Group.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/Conv.
Last edited by whwells on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marden
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by marden »

Howard...thx for the reply. We are partial to the galley up layout as it keeps the Chef in the party and provides us room for guests, including our grandson. Appreciate your comments on the structural integrity...I owned a 42 Tiara, which was overbuilt and have a 28 Regulator, which also is overbuilt. I guess I like well built boats that I can have confidence in. I've never had a water intrusion issue, or a blistering problem, and was really just looking for confirmation that these issues are not common to Albin.

Hoping to have an offer on the table tomorrow and a fast settlement! And, looking forward to being part of the Albin family once the deal is done.

Mitch
etesian32
Mate
Mate
Home Port: none

Post by etesian32 »

Mitch

You can see more pics on the for sale section of AOG. If you have any questions let me know. I own the boat.
Thanks
Steve
marden
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by marden »

Thanks Steve.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”