• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 Head installation

bobm
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Savannah, GA.

Albin 28 Head installation

Post by bobm »

Just purchased aa 2005 28 flush deck. The previous owner removed the toilet from the head as soon as he took delivery of the boat. It has a holding tank installed and hoses from the head to tank (never used). I am wondering if anyone knows what the original configuration was. Is it usually a raw water inlet to the toilet? If so should there have been a raw water pump installed between a seacock and toilet? Did the factory normally plumb the tanks for overboard sicharge as well as pumpout or pumpout only.
Sorry for the dumb questions but I do want to install the toilet correctly.
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Re: Albin 28 Head installation

Post by John_Madison CT »

I'm wondering too if the head is SW flush? My buddy has a 28te that is plumbed to his FW tank. Mine is SW.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

It will likely depend more on the toilet you buy than what was there. I prefer a FW flush as I then avoid the addition of dead sea critters to my holding tank and a much fresher bowl.

If you go with raw water then the pump is normally part of the toilet.

As for the holding tank - will you be boating offshore? If not then you cannot legally discharge your head or holding tank overboard. So just plumb the head directly to the tank. Connect the pumpout hose and you're all set. If you want to retain some level of overboard ability you can add a macerator pump between the tank and the discharge sea-cock and pump the tank out when you can legally do so. While in near-shore waters have the valve in the closed position and secured and you'll avoid issues with the CG or DEP. (I remove the handle and zip tie it to the hose next to the valve)

You may also want to check out some of the posts about fitting a larger holding tank. The stock tank is a tiny 6 gallons. Ok for a day or two, but that's about it! Use the search function here on AOG and you'll find a bunch of info.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
bobm
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Savannah, GA.

Post by bobm »

Thanks for the replies. I think fresh water sounds preferable. Does a household size bowl fit in the head OK or does it need to be the smaller marine size . Read good reviews of the Raritan Marine Elegance but am not sure it will fit. It is 18 3/4" deep. Does any one use that size?
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Bob,

I am sure it would need to be the marine sized bowl. Even with me being 6'4" I could use it if need be.

As for fresh and salt water installation, mine is salt yet my buddies is fresh. He doesn't get the grim looking contents of the bowl if left for a while, yet i get algae growth in mine - I find a squirt of bleach (in a spray bottle) sees to this.

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”