• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sole Removal

seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Sole Removal

Post by seasalt »

One of these days I am going to have to provide easy access to the outboard side of my Cummins. I am wondering how much of the sole one can remove on a 35 TE without pulling the settee and the salon A/C? The access door in the guest stateroom might be enough to adjust valves and service the cooler but I am not sure if my mechanic will like it.

The starboard side appears to have a removable section but the refrigerator might be an issue.

Anyone have pictures of it out?

Thanks
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
skye peak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Sole Removal

Post by skye peak »

I have seen several different configurations in the 35TE, what year do you have, or
can you describe the layout?
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Galley up. No lower steering station.

Starboard side is full size refer, sink, stove & drawers. It looks as if the sole right up to the cabinets is removable. There is a small access hatch on the sole in front of the stove for checking coolant and adding oil. Outboard of this engine is the vacuflush system, the Flo Scan equipment plus the secondary fuel filter and the heat exchanger.

Port has L shaped settee. The access hatch to the coolant/oil fills is under the forward part of the settee in addition to an air condidtionerand inverter. There is a crawl through door in the guest stateroom to squeeze outboard of the engine. The sole looks removable up to the base of he settee.

It looks to me like it is going to take a awfully small mechanic to do much on the outboard side of either engine.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Ron,

I have EXTENSIVE experience with removing the starboard side :!: , and have some educated guesses on the port side.

The sole is not your issue, it's the big deck hatches under it. You know, the hatches you can't remove without pulling the interior. I'll dig up some photos of the hatch removed over my starboard engine. Access to the far side of the starboard engine is VERY difficult since, at least on my boat, there's no access from forward. On the port side I have two hatches in the second stateroom that give decent access to the front and outboard side of the port engine.

While the engine was out I relocated the starboard sea strainer aft, and neatened up the area around the engine so that IF I ever have to get back there it will be just a little easier.

What are you trying to work on?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Posting from my phone, we'll see how this goes!

From aft. Starboard hatch open.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Thanks Doug for the pics.

I am not as flexible as I used to be so I guess that dollars will solve future access issues. An old marine mechanic that I once knew said it is not good to try to stuff 5 pounds of poop into a 4 pound bag. Some thing will eventually give. His comment came after a guy repowered an older 52' Hatteras Sport Fish with 1000 hp MAN's. A few times in rough seas and the hull cracked from the water line the gunnel.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Seasalt: Have been watching your and others comments with interests. It appears to me that the access is better with the up galley at least in some respects. With the down galley the stove and cabinets prevent any access to the port side at least through the wall. On the starboard side the shower will prevent any access from below.

I assume the sole will come up on either side. However there are cabinets on the starboard side as a consideration. In looking at the situation there are screws, but it appears to me they are really designed for removal of the teak floor and to the extent one can get beyond that is unclear.

Doug's photo's at least suggest there are some ways to get to the top of the engines on the up galley. If anyone has had the floor up on a down galley it would be great to hear how that was accomplished. It takes a very small person to get around to the port side for filters, and zinc service on my engines.

However the approach all are very tight.

whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/Conv.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Hey Howard,

Given that we both have '06 models I'm guessing your deck hatches are exactly like mine. If you go down into the engine room you should be able to see the supports and outline of the hatch. They are immediately next to the center engine hatch, with their forward ends in line with that hatch. On the aft end they are ~6-8" longer than the center hatch and I'd estimate that they are about 30" wide. Based on that you can probably figure out what's on top of them.

As I think I've mentioned in other posts, I moved the starboard raw water strainer aft to a new bulkhead I built in front of the water tanks, so at least I can get to that easily now. Access to the outboard side of the engine will still require the disconnecting of several hoses, probable removal of the strainer from its bracket, and some horrific contortions. When I was in there I cut the engine mount bolts flush so that getting stabbed was less of a likely outcome! At least the port side has the forward hatches in from the cabin on the galley up model. Do you have access through your galley cabinets?
Doug
Sonny IV
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

Seasalt/Ron: the teak and holly floor can be removed in one piece (screwed in) but tight at the new refrigerator. That will reveal the original hatches provided at manufacture. The starboard cabinets present a problem for direct access. But I had a standard sized :D mechanic crawl behind the starboard engine to replace the floscan canister. On the port side, I found it fairly easy to wriggle thru the hatch from the bunk room and I am 6'2" and 210 lbs. as well as 77 years old at that time. Maybe you need a better mechanic? Call the original owners guy whose name should be in your file. He is in Ft Myers.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Hey Chuck: Happy to see you are still paying attention to the AOG site. Speaking for all of us I am sure, it is nice to have your input.
Are you still planning to come to the NW? Hope you are both well and enjoying the quiet life.

Howard
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Doug Sea: Missed your comments about the 2006 Sole. Do not know if it is possible to access through the cabinets on the port side. Seems doubtful as the space is taken up with the galley stove and oven. Would be a lot of work to R&R to
stove & oven to get through. i am going too on the next trip up take a second look from the engine compartment to see if there are any type doors or removable panels.
The boat came without the oil change system. Such a system with remote filters would make service a lot easier.
Also have to take a look at the hinges referred too. Seems like the engine compartment door just has small hinges at the top. Really don't recall anything under floor, but again I need to get down into the engine compartment and look up from below. I am a little confused about the hinges. Are you referring to the hinges for the large door that is a part of the floor and opens to the engine compartment between the port & starboard engines.
The twins really make it tight down below but then such is the case with most boats. I do like your idea of moving some of the serviceable items from the outside of the port engines. No way I would personally try to get back there and it has to be done for each annual service. The water strainers on Nibbles are both already located at the aft end of the engine compartment and are supported by a wood bracket that is attached to the stringers on each side. Works fine for service and cleaning but again reduces the space to get around the engines for any outside service. I recall Chuck commented that seasalt when still his had remote oil filters. That should have been standard but of course every hull seems to be a little different
Will next be up at the boat in late Jan. for the Seattle Boat Show and will take a better look at the how to do all this.
Howard
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Please see my post on Intermittent Starting Problem in the Maintanence Forum because it looks like the galley may have to come out.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”