• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Ghost lettering...boat name change.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Ghost lettering...boat name change.

Post by eseyoung »

Moving along with my projects next is the removal name and installation of her new name. i have the old vinyl and sticky goo off but there is BIG time ghost lettering. I have tried to deal with it in a few ways...first i used some rubbing compound. That made it nice, smooth and clean (gives me hope for the rest of the boat). Next i tried some 1000 grit tehn i went for the big guns...500 grit. Yet the ghost is still haunting me.

this is not a case of having clean, non-oxidized gelcoat under the stickers... the area under the old vinyl is yellowed. So what are my options?

I am not sure if i want to sand anymore...i think it would make a bigger mess???

how about getting a sheet of white vehicle wrap installed on the stern? anyone done this?

any other ideas???
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Re: Ghost lettering...boat name change.

Post by marko »

I had a sheet of matching blue vinyl installed by the boat lettering guy. He first smoothed out the old hand painted lettering and preped for the new sheet vinyl. Then he installed the new name. He said it may last a few years, but it's been two years so far and it's fine. Just have to be careful when you or others are detailing. Critical is defining limits and color match.
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

local guy that does vehicle wraps has taken on the work of doing the entire stern in a wrap. the wrap will bear the new name and will include a graphic. I'll do before and after pics. He is going to install it next week. The price was pretty good too.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I never considered the full wrap. Sounds like a workable solution. I'll be interested in seeing the end result.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

before you do the wrap, it might be worth trying some penetrol. After the compounding, wash it good and apply a couple coats of the penetrol. Wash it again and apply your wax. If that does not work, you still have the wrap option.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”