• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Long Island boat hauling logistics

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n/a

Long Island boat hauling logistics

Post by TimQ »

I've been told it is complicated and expensive to haul an Albin 28 off Long Island by truck. Is it worth moving by water to NJ first and then loading onto the truck there if the trip by sea isn't too far? I guess that's a relative measure but I'm trying to determine if it's something to explore before just accepting the added expense and aggravation.
TQ
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Long Island boat hauling logistics

Post by Tree »

Without knowing the logistics involved, I used Tom at Infinity Marine to move my Albin from Sandy hook yacht Sales to Baltimore Docks.

A very nice chap to deal with.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

That is exactly what the broker selling the now Sonny IV was doing. He had a captain take the boat from the east end of Long Island down to a marina in Point Pleasant Beach NJ where he planned on loading it onto a truck for the trip to Florida. Lucky for us we "intercepted" her there. From what he told me the coast of taking an oversize load across the NYC bridges is VERY high. It's a relatively easy one day trip from Long Island to NJ if you pick the right weather. Might well be worth the effort.

Of course I'm assuming she's on the South Shore. Certainly CT or RI are also possibilities, depending on where exactly you are starting and ending.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TimQ »

Doug, in this case the boat would be headed west, not south. But it is on the south shore and someplace from Highlands to Keansburg could make the most sense. I'm beginning by first getting estimates from truckers on the added cost for starting out on LI, then will use Active Captain for ideas on suitable yards in NJ if we were to go that route.
I was looking for comments to confirm this may be worth investigating and your message is most helpful.

It's not my preference due to logistics...I am coming from OH and there's enough to do with the survey and subsequent jobs if there are no hiccups.

Enough said for now. It's just not the kind of surprise you want to find after finalizing a price for the boat, but we will sort it out.
Thanks again for the input.
TQ
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Where is she on Long Island? If she's very far east then the trip to a CT or RI yard would actually be shorter. I'm assuming (based on your profile) that she'll be headed out on I-80 to Cleveland, so I don't see much difference on the overland haul starting up here instead of NJ.
If you have other logistical questions, i.e.; airports, marinas, etc., just send me a PM, I'd be happy to help, having done a couple of long distance surveys and purchases. (although you have me beat for distance!)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

It's more about what shore of LI she is on, south or north shore?
Where exactly is she?
If she's on the north shore running over to CT is simple.
If she's on the south shore Sandy Hook NJ is easy enough.
If she's way out on the east end of LI then yes CT would be easier than NJ even if she's on the south shore.
Last edited by RobS on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tqoops

Post by TimQ »

I think I got the answer I needed. The premium for trucking isn't that great, maybe a few hundred dollars. I have a quote that seems in line and the gymnastics I'd need to perform to dodge the premium just don't seem worth it.
I think some haulers who don't do this routinely may overstate the issues.
At any rate, I'm OK with simply hauling it from Long Island and not having to deal with moving the boat, weather (south shore) and another yard.
Thanks fellows for the input.
TQ

Return to “General Discussion”