• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cummins VS Yanmar

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Cummins VS Yanmar

Post by flyboyjack »

Hey Folks,

a total newbie here. After 5 months of "slaving" over my computer and internet, it looks like we're settling on a 32+2 with a 1700 hour Cummins. Does anyone out there have any heartburn over a Cummins vs a Yanmar? Sea trials and survey early next week. Any problem areas to watch out for. This is a very nice '98 beats all the 2000 and 2000+ by a mile!

Thanks
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Cummins VS Yanmar

Post by flyboyjack »

Well,... let me answer my own post. It seems I can't go wrong with either motor as long as they are both well maintained and run frequently/lots. The Cummins is higher torque and lower top RPM's, while the Yanmar is obviously not as high torquing and higher RPM motor. There are several/many Cummins mechanical shops here, .. not sure about Yanmars. After much more reading today, I'm leaning quite a bit more towards the Cummins. I'm not planning on a lot of fast boating and will spend most of by boating in the 10-12 kt range. Seems the Cummins lends itself to that.

Now for the surveys, which I'm trying very hard to convince myself I need. The motor for sure, just not sure about the boat/hull.

Jack
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Post by seasalt »

Jack,

No matter which one you choose there are some very good diesel surveyor/mechanics in our area...Punta Gorda. For Cummins I would recommend Don DeRudder at 239-633-6862. He is independent but worked for the Ft. Myers Cummins dealer for 17 years and he lives in South Punta Gorda. I used him on my last boat and have not needed him "yet" for the 35 TE I bought this summer.

I have never owned Yanmars but I have heard of a Ft. Myers surveyor named Mattos. A mechanic in Punta Gorda that gets mentioned a lot for Yamnars is a Smitty.941-628-9042 Office: 941-575-7331.

You may already know these people but just in case...
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate

Post by flyboyjack »

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the names. I'm new to PGI and SWF so I'll keep these in my rolodex.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

You absolutely want a survey. A good surveyor will crawl into spaces and look at things you hope are never seen again. It also serves as a point in time reference if you ever have an insurance claim. It's well worth the money, and usually not very expensive.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate

Post by flyboyjack »

OK. This our 5th boat, and hopefully our last. So it will be money well spent. Anybody out there in the Stuart, Florida area with a boat and diesel surveyor recommendation?

Thanks Doug

Jack

Return to “General Discussion”