• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

110 Volts, 240 Volts 50hz, 60hz....Arrrrgghh!

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

110 Volts, 240 Volts 50hz, 60hz....Arrrrgghh!

Post by Tree »

Afternoon All,

As you are probably aware, we are 240 volts 50 hz over this side of the pond, however stepping down to 110 volts is no biggy......

However, the hz is a different matter. From what I understand, I can still run a number of systems on the boat with a 50hz supply and it appears, that the one with the most concern is the battery charger will be perfectly fine!

Now I've checked through everything where I can and it seems that most systems on the boat are perfectly fine with a 50/60hz supply but for one exception, the microwave.

I don't appear to have a book here for the microwave, could one of you kind people have a look through your boat documents and see if it can be used on a 110 volt 50HZ supply? I am not even sure what the model is, so can't really check it out on the net. Its a white Samsung with dials instead of digital control fitted to most 28's.

If it can't be used on a 50hz supply, My guess is the only other option is throw out the battery charger - install a clean 240v 50hz supply in with a new 240 volt battery charger. Then fit a pure sine wave invertor to run the 110 volt circuit from the batteries? I don't have any intentions of using the water heater anyway, the biggest supply demand would be the microwave. Also, this would give the benefit of being able to use it at sea I suppose?

Opinions, ideas, telling me that I am barking mad are all appreciated as it would be really nice to make use of all of these functions on the boat without the need and cost to convert everything over to 240 volts.

Cheers

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: 110 Volts, 240 Volts 50hz, 60hz....Arrrrgghh!

Post by Nancy »

Lee,

I just happen to have our Samsung microwave and manual at home. We removed it from the boat. The interior height is so low that it won't even accommodate a (paper) cup of coffee. Meh! The resulting storage space is much appreciated, and the butane stove works great!

Anyway, back to the microwave. Ours has a model number on the front at the upper right - MW2000U. It also has an ID & spec plate on the back, and yours probably does, too. Power source on ours is 120V 60Hz. Not what you were hoping for.

New battery charger, inverter, etc., etc....that sounds like a crazy amount of $$/££ for a microwave! And I wouldn't give up my hot water for anything! Does your hot water heat from the engine as well as from 110V?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
C lectric
Mate
Mate
Home Port: N/A

Post by C lectric »

So why are you tossing the battery charger if it will work with 50hz. Unless I'm misreading something i don't see that it needs replacement. if it will still properly charge the batteries then that's all that's required.

To run the microwave you can go with your idea of a dedicated inverter. That sounds fine. Pull the microwave from its cabinet and find the sticker that gives you the rating and model number. I assume you have looked all around the door and the frame. Unfortunately a lot of the stickers are at the back or on the bottom. Stupid idea.

Maybe it, microwave, is already 50hz or if not then contact Samsung and ask. Lots of equipment is designed for dual hz operation so the mfgrs. do not have to worry about what they ship where.

It seems odd to me that a 110V60hz unit would have been installed in a boat headed for the UK that cannot be run on either system.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

The issue here is the Albin was made for the American market. Currently there are only five here over in the UK so everything is set up for American electrics.

I can fit a dockside transformer no issue and use everything except the microwave no issue so it seems. Ill phone Samsung in the States and see what they say.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”