• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Beckson Ports 28TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Maine Sail
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Maine

Beckson Ports 28TE

Post by Maine Sail »

Hi All,

I just did a delivery, in rough weather, on a customers 28TE and the plastic Beckson ports leak like sieve. I removed the screens, cleaned the gaskets, cleaned the ports gasket grooves and then re-installed the gaskets and adjusted the dogs. The darn ports still leak like a sieve. The leaks are coming from the gasket area, not the port to hull interface.. The problem is the gaskets seem to be in decent shape, a little stiff but good, as do the ports and other sealing surfaces.

Is this just standard protocol for these plastic ports?? Will new gaskets and lenses fix this or do I need to install some higher quality port lights as opposed to these Beckson ports. I hate to charge my customer for new ports if new gaskets and lenses will fix this problem.

Everything but these ports worked perfectly, and I find the Ablin's to be a decent quality build. I am perplexed at Albin using sub par ports........ :x

Thoughts? New lenses and gaskets, or rip these out and replace with non-Lego style port lights....

BTW 6 out of 6 leak so this is not an isolated incident... Oh and yes I have a vested interest because I had 2k worth of test equipment, in a tool bag in the quarter berth, that got filled with salt water.

Thanks,

RC
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Beckson Ports 28TE

Post by DougSea »

We had the plastic ports on our '97 28TE and never had a problem with leaks, despite travels through some heavy seas. So I'm wondering what's going on with your (customer's) boat. Did they get dogged too tight and warped or broken? Something's not right.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

we have had our 2002 28te with plastic ports for 5 years now. been in some really nasty seas and all is dry. can't imagine all ports failing together.
Maine Sail
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Maine Sail »

Update:

I spoke with Beckson and finally figured out what the issue is. Previous owner installed port screens but never removed the black spacer that rides in the bottom half of the port. When installing screens this piece must be removed or the gaskets will be permanently ruined. The gaskets are simply over compressed and no loger function as they should.

New gaskets will be ordered...
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey RC,

Thanks for posting the update. Glad you got that resolved.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Maine Sail
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Maine Sail »

DougSea wrote:Hey RC,

Thanks for posting the update. Glad you got that resolved.
It certainly explains why all six leaked. That is what really had me stumped. Never really thought about the spacers being there when I removed the screens or that it may have damaged the gaskets by using both the screens and spacers together..
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

I`ve heard that sometimes if you heat plastic /rubber seals in really hot water they take up their original moulded shape. Just a thought.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”