• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

purchase Albin and import to US

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n/a

purchase Albin and import to US

Post by TimQ »

Anyone have experience bringing a boat in from Canada?

I'm trying to determine what expenses are involved.
Preliminary discussion with a broker is to expect about $850 for the entry fee and customs bond.

And add a 1.5% duty if I cannot produce a document to prove the boat was built in the US. I'm told an affidavit from the builder would be acceptable. That not being an option I called US Customs. So far I've not received anything firm from Customs as to what would take the place of an affidavit.
TQ
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: purchase Albin and import to US

Post by Tree »

I can't help obviously with how to Import to the States but my experience from Importing from the States to the UK was don't do it alone - I had help from a broker who knew all the in's and out's which made the whole project effortless
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Fogg~Dogg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fogg~Dogg »

I used Fed-X a couple years ago to bring in my Albin 28. Smooth as glass! Choose a hauler, put him in contact with Fed-X and set the date. I don't recall the fees being too hefty for Customs, etc.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Tqoops wrote:And add a 1.5% duty if I cannot produce a document to prove the boat was built in the US. I'm told an affidavit from the builder would be acceptable. That not being an option I called US Customs. So far I've not received anything firm from Customs as to what would take the place of an affidavit.
Does the seller have proof of the boat's origin from when they brought it to Canada?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TimQ »

I haven't completed the purchase yet so I apologize for not stating that up front.
Boat is now with the second owner and I'm trying to figure out what the next steps are if/when we complete the deal. We're close so fingers crossed.
Hopefully the original owners documents went along with the boat to the current owner and it will be sufficient.
TQ
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

I just brought a 27FC from BC into the San Juan Islands..Washington State and declared it as "personal Property" and had no expense..(no tax, no duty, no broker fees, etc). This boat was built in the US so NAFTA is how that happened. ( a broker in Pt. Roberts said I might expect a $17.00 fee but even that was not the case.)

I did have the broker do a Lein search ($75 USD) just to make sure the seller was not hiding anything, or more likely unaware of any leins)

Customs and Border Protection filled out Form: CPB 7501 (o6/09) listed the boat as 1989 Albin 27 MV, Entered Value $32,000 and the Duty and I.R. Tax column = N/A

Hope that helps.
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TimQ »

Coolchange, this looks like valuable information. Thank you for responding.

As it happens we did not reach an agreement to purchase the boat so I won't have to worry about the US Customs issues.
TQ
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

I purchased my '01, 28TE in 2003, and had no issues bringing it in to the US. Proper documentation is key however, particularly the certificate of origin of manufacture.
Carolmarie, 2001, 28TE, 6LP-STE.
TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TimQ »

Although I'm not buying the boat I hoped to, I wanted to report what I learned from my local Customs office.

Immigration issues are same as usual when coming in from Canada so the usual requirements apply.

Customs: If I were to bring the boat into the US by sea he asked that I call a day or two ahead to give them time to be available (in case I bring it into a port that isn't close to one of their offices). Otherwise, no big deal. No duty as long as I have proof it was US built.
There is an EPA form which they will fill out based on the engine model.
It sounded very routine.

I'm glad they returned my call. Both people I spoke with were very courteous and helpful.

If trucking it in the broker sounded like it would cost about $800 for entry and bond fees.
TQ
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Nibbles came from Jack Pady broker in Canada near Tronoto and was shipped across Canada to Richmond on the west coast. Do not recall any extra charges other than using a service to establish clear title and assistance in US registration. That was in the summer of 2010.
whwells "Howard"
2006 36 Sportfisher Conv.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

Bought my boat through JackPady as well. Cannot say enough about how pleasant the experience was, and his knowledge about reimporting back to the US. Consider calling him if you have any concerns about importing from Canada back to the US (705 526-6224)
Carolmarie.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

PS to previous post - Jack was (is still?) an Albin dealer.
Carolmarie.

Return to “General Discussion”