• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A WATERTIGHT ENCLOSURE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Graeme K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Australia

A WATERTIGHT ENCLOSURE

Post by Graeme K »

I came up with a couple of different ways to keep the water out. This method ticks all the boxes for me.
Here are the details that cover making and fitting rails for an enclosure.
I used stainless 302 RHS 75mm x 25mm. (316 was not available). The rail is rock solid, even if somebody stood on top of it.
Measure along the gunwale to fibreglass each end for rail length, then take off 4mm (2mm each end gap). Be sure to measure both sides - there will be a difference.
The brackets at the bottom of the rail will have a gap to the fibreglass. Pack with soft washers and screw home.
When using selftapping screws in fibreglass, I use a drill a whisker larger than the overall diameter of the screw thread. Then, while drilling, watch the outside edge of the drill bit - go just below the jelcoat. Then finish the hole with the correct drill for the screw used. Doing this prevents jelcoat chipping when the selftapping screw goes in.

Graeme K
2005 Albin 30 FC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Re: A WATERTIGHT ENCLOSURE

Post by kathylsails »

Great job! Thank you for sharing.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Very nice Graeme! Do you have any "overview" shots that show off the entire cockpit? Looks very well done.

(I liked the "bog the rest up" comment!)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Graeme K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Australia

Post by Graeme K »

Doug,
Unfortunately no, I wouldn't have a wide enough view with this camera. Maybe I should put a new camera on my Christmas wishlist! Graeme.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”