• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

fire extinguisher location?

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

fire extinguisher location?

Post by saltshaker28 »

I just bought a new fire extinguisher for my 28 te I would like to hear from you 28 te owners to get some locations on the boat for my extinguisher?
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: fire extinguisher location?

Post by loubennett »

Quest has one fire extinguisher mounted next to the helm seat. The other is in the hanging locker. I think this works well, but I've never had to test it. It seems to make sense to have one accessible on deck, and another in the cabin. With diesel power, it's unlikely you'll ever need them.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

We have one under the hanging locker door and one in back of the helm on the bulkhead beneath a cowl vent. That one is high enough to clear the top of the garbage can sitting on the deck there. We also have a large extinguisher in the engine compartment.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

My boat came (new) with two extinguishers installed, one beneath the hanging locker door in the cabin and the other high up on the port-side of the pilot house astern of the sliding window.
I agree that the risk of an engine fire is low with a diesel engine, but that is not why I have fire extinguishers. The main risk in the cabin is from a galley fire, and on deck there are multiple potential sources including the barbeque, the gasoline for the dinghy engine, and my stash of various solvents. Is smoking allowed on board?
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

We carry three type I dry chemical extinguishers aboard our flush deck 28 and usually all are stowed in the live well at the transom. Some raised eyebrows are expected, but bear with me. We don't fish, so the live well is used for extra lines. I did not want to drill holes in the gelcoat (?) within the cockpit or wheelhouse, and the idea of stowing the extinguishers aft was based on where, if ever, they would be accessible and needed. At times we did keep one extinguisher in the cabin, but we did not ever use the stove, so it was just there for appearance.
Should a fire have occurred in the engine compartment, it would not be easy to get to it quickly enough to make any difference with a small extinguisher.
The requirement for carrying extinguishers states that they must be kept in mounts, and they are. The mounts are just not screwed into anything. More important than screwing extinguishers into fixed locations is knowing where they are at all times. Guests aboard are always notified of the location of these devices. Fair Tide has never failed a vessel safety check. She also carries an 8-inch diameter bell, though not required on a vessel of its size. Signal mirror is also aboard.
Bluey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: No Boat, No Port

Post by Bluey »

Has anyone installed an automatic fire extinguisher in a 28TE engine box? Where did you put the bottle? How did you wire the diesel engine shutoff? Should there be a diesel fuel interrupter thingie? Is this a job of a bumblefingered ignoramus, or should it be contracted out?
Maurice the Boatless
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Fairtide, What happens when you wake up in the middle of the night and the stern is on fire? I have one mounted to the left of the microwave and the other below the steering wheel.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

It's been a long time between my post and this answer, but, strange to report, we don't sleep aboard except for a nap in the side berth. We use the boat as a day boat. It's really amazing how few of the things aboard are used. If we were to cruise, we would stow an extinguisher below just in case some fire started in the transom area. The only thing that might be a concern is the fuel tank, but it is not likely that it would catch fire. I don't think anyone ever lit a match aboard. No smokers in the crew and we have never installed one of those butane cartridges in the stove.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Electrical fires are a threat too
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Bluey wrote:Has anyone installed an automatic fire extinguisher in a 28TE engine box? Where did you put the bottle? How did you wire the diesel engine shutoff? Should there be a diesel fuel interrupter thingie? Is this a job of a bumblefingered ignoramus, or should it be contracted out?

I am just about to, I intend to fit a 2kg ABC automatic system, possibly in the roof of the engine box unless anyone can advise me of a better location?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Tree wrote:I am just about to, I intend to fit a 2kg ABC automatic system, possibly in the roof of the engine box unless anyone can advise me of a better location?
I know there wasn't anything even close to enough room above my engine and the underside of the box to do this. I'd think vertical, in whichever forward corner of the engine space is easier to get to with your engine (we had the Beast). Also, as noted above, an automatic extinguisher should be tied into an engine and blower kill switch. Otherwise the engine will just pump the agent right out the exhaust.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Bluey wrote:Has anyone installed an automatic fire extinguisher in a 28TE engine box? Where did you put the bottle? How did you wire the diesel engine shutoff? Should there be a diesel fuel interrupter thingie? Is this a job of a bumblefingered ignoramus, or should it be contracted out?
My Fireboy automatic was mounted under the engine box ... plenty of room. Wiring traveled beneath the sound insulation down and aft / hinge side. It was wired for engine shutdown. Installed at build by Albin.
CIMG0967 (480x640).jpg
CIMG0970 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Pitou wrote:My Fireboy automatic was mounted under the engine box ... plenty of room. Wiring traveled beneath the sound insulation down and aft / hinge side. It was wired for engine shutdown. Installed at build by Albin.
I guess l'll have to change my answer to "It depends on your engine". "The Beast" was right up against the insulation.

What size extinguisher is that Kevin? On our 35 the automatic cylinder is 7" by 15". The capacity is hidden behind the mounting band, so I won't know it until next year when I pull it for servicing.

And back to Bluey's question about a "bumble fingered ignoramus" - it involves both mechanical and electrical work, so if you're uncertain about your abilities I'd have to recommend contracting it out or finding a friend that has the skills. Don't want your engine shutting down unless there's an actual fire!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

DougSea wrote:
Pitou wrote:My Fireboy automatic was mounted under the engine box ... plenty of room. Wiring traveled beneath the sound insulation down and aft / hinge side. It was wired for engine shutdown. Installed at build by Albin.

What size extinguisher is that Kevin? On our 35 the automatic cylinder is 7" by 15". The capacity is hidden behind the mounting band, so I won't know it until next year when I pull it for servicing.
7 X 15 for 350 sq. ft. capacity is correct Doug.

It's mounted off center in order to fit inside the engine box and not bump the top of the highest point of the engine.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”