• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cummins

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

sjs52
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Niantic CT

Cummins

Post by sjs52 »

Just joined the group because we are considering a 28 TE.
Going from a 20' Maritime to the diesel inboard is interesting to say the least, new learning curve.
One of the boats we are looking at is a 1994 and it appears in good shape. It about 1200 hours and is the Cummins 6 cylinder 250 hp turbo model 6BTA-5.9M1, yard maintained, turbo replaced in 2001.
Where can I find more info on this model. I am on boatdiesel.com and copied all the pertinent sections on what to look for but nothing like getting it from someone using it.
Thanks for any input.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Cummins

Post by RobS »

Can you be more specific as to "more info" ? Members Nancy and Russ are both astute owners of 28's with that power and will hopefully chime in here with some good feedback.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
sjs52
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by sjs52 »

with a 14 year old engine that has had regularly scheduled maintenance what should i expect for engine longevity?
What should I expect the for average annual maintenance costs?
I spoke with my brother in law who has hands on experience with everything from fighter aircraft engines to CAT dozers and payloaders and his take on the boat diesel is that it should have a long way to go, however as he stated,boat engines are one that he never tinkered with.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

I consider myself far from astute when it comes to engines!

We have the same engine in our boat; it has about 750 hours on it. This is only our second season, so I can't give you much guidance on track record. I hope this year is not typical of maintenance costs as they've been high: rebuild seawater pump, rebuild dripless (ha!) shaft seal, rebuild starter (it was clicking intermittently instead of starting), clean aftercooler, replace valve cover gaskets. And we're not finished - the mixing elbow needs repair or, more likely, replacement (big $), and we won't know about the turbo until we get the mixing elbow off. Hopefully after that, things will taper off. All this is on an engine that seemed to be well-maintained, but saltwater is a tough environment.

The 6BTA is considered an excellent engine with a very long life expectancy if it's well taken care of. Fuel consumption is great - 3-4 gph no matter how you run the engine.

Read everything you can on boatdiesel. Ask the present owner what it gets for WOT. The engine is rated for 2600 rpm, and Tony Athens is adamant that it must achieve 100-200 rpms above that. Many boats are overpropped/overloaded, and can't achieve WOT rpm. Look at the engine carefully for obvious rust or rusty water stains. If you have any doubts, buy an hour of a mechanic's time to look at it with you. Don't leave this to the surveyor.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
sjs52
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by sjs52 »

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I will definitely hire a mechanic for as long as it takes to figure it out. The present owner has access to all repairs from the boatyard so that would be a big help. He had the turbo replaced in 2001 right after he purchased the boat, so is it time for another? I guess we'll find out. The asking price is $41,000, it's a 1994 and the owner never fished with it, just cruised around the islands of Maine with his family. He's the first to say that the yard took care of all that was required. We intend to fish with it from either Niantic or Stonington CT
I am in the process of making a list of things that may need replacement based on input like yours and the boat diesel forum list of scheduled and replacement and cross reference with what parts had repair or replacement.
We looked at a 1998 28' TE last weekend and didn't have a good feeling, somewhat neglected and for sale since 2008. The dealer said in general it's a buyers market and people seem to hold out sometimes for years.
Being in the finance business, any product is only worth what someone is willing to pay and carrying costs whittle away at what one could have received. Take the money and run!!

Thank you,

Steve
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Sounds like you have your bases covered and appears to be a great boat for the price if all checks out in the end. Based on your location, we will hopefully see you at the next NE Rendezvous.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Hi Steve I have a 97 version of this engine with nearly 2500 hours and expect many more. I had a separate engine survey when I purchased in 2006 and would highly recommend it not only for assurance but I learned a lot from the mechanic. This year I have had my first problems requiring a mechanic which does not seem too bad. First a Bosch fuel pressure regulator had to be replaced and last week the fuel cutoff solenoid was replaced. I probably could have done the latter myself but I was out of town. My son just tied it open and used the boat that way, which is a nice feature of the 6BTA.
The 250 hp version of this engine has the advantage of simplicity but it is the minimal hp for the 28TE and I would go for a 300 hp engine if you take a lot of people fishing and want to go 18 knots. Also around the year 2000 Albin considerably improved soundproofing and these early models are very loud at cruise. Good luck.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Cummins Metropower in Rocky Hill is your local distributor and parts center. I found them excellent to work with when I owned a Cummins 6BTA and I hear the same from several friends who run 6BTAs in their boats.
The older 250 hp engines (which your is) are a little marginal on cooling, so they need to be underpropped a bit to live a long life. At WOT you'd want to 2700 rpm "ideally" and that's with a full boat load.
A nice add on if you do buy this boat would be a pyrometer (to monitor EGT or Exhaust Gas Temperature) and maybe a boost gage. Both are easy to install.
I put those in my 6BTA too make sure everything was up to snuff. (Plus it's fun to watch the boost gage approach 30 psi :D )

One nice thing about a Cummins 6B is that you can buy many of the parts at NAPA, truck parts stores, Dodge dealers or Cummins disctributors, so you have choices. Plus many automotive mechanics can do muck of the work if you choose or get stuck, or have a buddy in the business (who likes to get paid in fishing trips).

Regardless of the outcome, best of luck.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Steve,

Just a though, and re-iterating what Russell says above - 250hp is a bit light for these boats. If you were moving up from sail or a trawler you might find it just fine, but coming from what I'm assuming was a reasonably fast outboard you may want a bit more ummpf! On the other hand you'll probably get better fuel economy with the 250. Everything in a boat is a compromise.

There's no question it's a buyer's market, but I'd certainly consider spending a bit more on the right boat. Try and find one that has reasonably up to date electronics and a good engine and you'll be a happy camper.

Best of luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
sjs52
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by sjs52 »

Wow, lots of good input. I'm sure we will look at many more boats. We won't get to Maine until after October 20th, it's not pulled til November 15 or so according to the owner.I think this boat had 843 hours on it, located in Rockport Maine.
We have Raymarine on our current boat and that will go with us. Re: the 250 being adequate but a little light, what would be the recommended engine?
My son and his friends do about 20 - 30 trips per year fishing to the RACE, off Block, Watch Hill Reef area, Fishers Island area and somedays just around Millstone Power Plant, Black Point and the reef about 2 miles out. Usually 4 people fish, sometimes 3.
Unfortunately I only get out 3 or 4 times per year.
He recently got married and another reason for a boat with a cabin is so Dave and Lori can head out to Block, the Vineyard or Nantucket.
Certainly a new learning curve.
Also looking for a place to slip this boat possibly in the Stonington - Mystic area.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

sjs52 wrote: My son and his friends do about 20 - 30 trips per year.....He recently got married and another reason for a boat with a cabin is so Dave and Lori can head out to Block, the Vineyard or Nantucket
sjs52 wrote: Unfortunately I only get out 3 or 4 times per year
Wow, you get the world's greatest Dad award! I imagine your son is good to you
You may look to get out more once you experience the comfort of an Albin :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

sjs52
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by sjs52 »

Yes, at 26 he is a pretty good guy, works full time for a municipality as a police/fire/911 dispatcher, part time EMT and also has a real estate license. He still managed to take 40 days off this year, work OT at the regular job and plenty of EMT shifts and sold his first house. Gotta give the kid credit, he works hard but takes time to enjoy. Lesson learned. He is passionate about fishing and enjoys taking others and ensuring they have fun as well. Several times a year I'll ask clients and they always have a great time, even when the fishing is slow. I don't mind kicking in for another boat, it depends how much and ongoing costs.
As he knows I have my bucket list as well.
I did speak to Chris in GA. Thursday and he has a pretty nice set up and a bit more Horsepower with the Volvo vs the 250 hp. Don't know if I want to spend that much.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Steve,

The vast majority of 28's out there have something in the 300-315hp range, with I believe an occasional 370 (Pitou?)

I would say you'd have a hard time going wrong with 28TE for the uses you describe. My wife and I found it very comfortable for cruises all around our waters and loved taking it up to Block. I always described it as a mini yacht - nice head and hot water, galley, comfortable for 2-3+ (depending on how friendly you all are!) and so solid that you really never worried about getting stuck out there. Absolutely loved our 28 and only sold it to move up to the 35 and further extend our voyages.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”