• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Removable hardtop

garybodie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hampton, VA

Removable hardtop

Post by garybodie »

I'm considering purchasing a TE 28. My dock is upstream of a low clearance bridge. None of my neighbors even have a t top on a center console. I can get under at mid tide with about 6 to 7 foot height. Seems like the hardtop on the TE is bolted or screwed on. Has anybody removed one? How much would it weigh? Would it be practical to take it down, set in cockpit, go under bridge, put it back up on a regular basis with some sort of dogs to hold it down? I've also seen the convertible model TE with glass windshield, but that's still too much height. Or maybe put the hardtop in storage, and go with a soft enclosure. I also might have to cut down or eliminate the bow rail. Any thoughts appreciated.

--Gary
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Removable hardtop

Post by DougSea »

Hey Gary,

I really don't see how you could pull this off. You'd need to remove not just the roof and arch, but the windshield, side windows and aft supports. Wiring, wipers, all kinds of stuff. And it's not meant to come off, there's a bunch of adhesive up there.

The only path I can imagine would be the convertible and even then you'd probably need to modify the windscreen. At least it eliminates all of the top structure.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Best of luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Removable hardtop

Post by RobS »