• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Packing Gland

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Packing Gland

Post by kjg1951 »

How in the heck does one adjust the packing gland. It is located under the engine and out of arms reach .. I have a 1994 28T albin... Any suggestions ???? thank you
Kevin G
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Packing Gland

Post by Pitou »

Crawl on in and be sure to have someone aboard to pull you out if necessary!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Post by kjg1951 »

Crawl right in ???? there has to be a better way .... and whiule i am down there if i can get in there how does one know when the gland needs to be replaced and how to do it ??? There has top be a few others that have a packing gland out there !!!!! thank s
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I had ours (on the 28) checked by the marina. They pulled the starboard deck box and climbed on in. They just tightened it so I don't have any record of the packing size, although I'm pretty sure I saw some posts here that mention it. Did you try searching?

I do know that I was able to get my hands down there when I was checking it out. I'm 6'2". It wasn't easy, but is doable.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Use the search function on this forum for "gland", "packing" and "stuffing". There are many posts about it and a lot of them mention the cramped working space. I had to clear out almost everything not fastened down under the deck on the port side of the cockpit so the mechanic could stretch out, feet aft, next to the engine. Once he was down there, not too much problem unscrewing the jam nut and packing nut, extracting the old packing and putting in new. The actual work probably took an hour. There is a tool similar to a corkscrew they used to extract the old packing.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard

Return to “Albin Maintenance”