• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Portable MSD with pumpout. A25

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Robdog.1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Texas

Portable MSD with pumpout. A25

Post by Robdog.1 »

Question: I couldn't find references in the search feature, so I hope it hasn't been beaten to death already.
I have a 1978 A25, the head needs repair but I'm considering removing it since I see evidence that the SS holding tank may be about to give out at the bottom seem. For my cruising, I think one of the new portable MSD units could easily mount on the floor and just plumb to the deck pumpout fitting and vent holes. This would allow me 5 gallons of holding (56 flushes according to mfr) and the ability to pump out or remove and dump into a toilet or RV dump.
Should also remove any problems with USCG.

Am I correct? Also, any experiences with this setup on any other Albins?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Portable MSD with pumpout. A25

Post by DougSea »

Hey Rob,

This type of setup was an option on the sister-ship to my Aquasport 215. The Wellcraft equivalent (can't think of the model) had just what you describe, a portable MSD plumbed to a deck mounted pump-out fitting. It seemed like a good idea to me if you're in an area with good pump-out facilities (as we are) with the backup ability to remove it from the boat as needed.

I will say that 56 flushes seems a bit optimistic, but still that's a decent capacity if you're not spending too much continuous time on the hook. Just make sure you pump out every chance you get, even if there's not much to pump. An empty holding tank is your friend!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Robdog.1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Texas

Post by Robdog.1 »

Thanks Doug!
I would bet my usage would be once a day, but I have a girlfriend and two teenage daughters! I'm guessing ill have to pump out TWICE A DAY!!!
HA!
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

From what I've read about those units, they seem like a very good and straightforward option. The pumpout fitting makes all the difference.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “General Discussion”