• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

De-Icer

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Bluey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: No Boat, No Port

De-Icer

Post by Bluey »

Am thinking of leaving our 28TE in the water this winter (on the Chester, on Kent Island, MD). To do this, I'll need to install a de-icer. This is a tidal area, and we've seen as little as 12" below keel if there's been a steady wind from the north. The slip has the finger pier to the starboard side and the main dock to the stern. No boats on either the starboard or port sides, and I dock stern-to. I believe there will be boats immediately in back of mine, and in back/to the starboard, this winter.

So if I keep the boat in its water cradle, where do I put the de-icer? If suspended on the starboard side, the boat's keel may minimize the bubbling action on the port side. If I install between the bow pilings, the slip is 40 feet long, so the bubbling may not make it to the stern. How about suspending it from the main dock at the stern? Do I aim the de-icer straight up and down, or tilt it towards the boat?
Maurice the Boatless
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: De-Icer

Post by DougSea »

Hi Maurice.

I don't think you're talking about a "bubbler" system, but instead a small unit that drives a propellor. They work by both moving the water to prevent icing over and, more importantly, by pulling in warmer, deeper water. So, I'd think that between the pilings off of your bow, just above the bottom, would be the best position.

Disclaimer - I don't winter store in-water. I do know people who do and have observed these systems over the years.

Have you talked to a manufacturer of the systems?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: De-Icer

Post by loubennett »

The propeller type de-icers are effective over a fairly large radius around the de-icer location. Probably 30 to 50 feet depending on the size of the unit. In my community we use five units to protect the 23 slip main dock and the adjacent guest dock. They are quite effective but do use a lot of electricity. To manage the electricity consumption, they are all on thermostats set a few degrees below freezing. During a warm winter like last winter, they rarely run. Installation should be in the deeper water, since they draw the warmer water near the bottom to the top. They should be suspended in the water column a few feet below the surface but not so deep they suck mud. A good rule of thumb is about midway from bottom to low tide water level with the water depths we have around here. When you put them in and run them, you should see the turbulence they create on the surface, but not a water fountain. Bottom line for your situation is to suspend it at the deeper end of the slip.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis

Return to “General Discussion”