• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Another boat explosion

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Another boat explosion

Post by jcollins »

We came into Sue Creek yesterday for fuel only to find another boat on fire. Since it started at the fuel pier everyone is assuming he didn't run his blowers. When I had a gas boat I always ran the blowers. This is something you learn when you buy your first boat. In the 60s and 70s I can understand it happening. But this is 2013. You would think captains would learn by now. Next we'll see manufacturers installing some type of auto switch on the ignition that runs the blower for a few minutes and THEN the engine will start.
Three injured, one pretty badly. I'm just glad I wasn't next to him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Another boat explosion

Post by Yearwood »

Almost 40 years ago my entire family attended the USCG safe boating course (my third safe boating course) and there was great emphasis on the proper fueling procedure. In their teenage years my sons and eldest daughter fueled boats at our marina. Before fueling they insisted on all power off, boat cabin closed and afterward opening the boat and blowers on for five minutes before firing up anything. From time to time a boater would refuse to take instructions from teenagers and they were politely told to fuel elsewhere. A couple of times boaters complained to the owner of the marina who also told them to fuel elsewhere...sometime less politely for he did not wish to lose his fuel dock.
Don
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

I highly recommend a basic boating course for everyone who spends time on boats. It gives you the basics of safety, navigation, and rules of the road. Here in Maryland it is a requirement to operate a boat for anyone born after 1972 (I think that's the right year). As much as I dislike government regulation, this is actually a good thing. I have over 60 years of boating experience and have learned that safety of the crew and the boat is the highest priority whenever you leave the dock. Unfortunately we seem to have a couple of these kinds of accidents each year here on the Chesapeake. The cause is always poor maintenance or poor procedure. Its interesting that when ships exchange radio traffic, the sign off is always "have a safe trip". Each of these incidents should make us all stop and think. Are we doing everything we can to ensure a safe trip each time we leave the dock.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

OMG, John, that is awful. Very scary.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

WOW!! I'm actually surprised there isn't a safety switch like you said. When I had a gas engine....the blowers were going all the time the engines were running. The Admiral was very good about making sure they were on for a few minutes before we would fire things up.
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Jim: Thanks for the posting. I always ran ( well except that rare time ) you forget with my gas fueled boats.
My recent fishing boat is a 22' Osprey 315 Volvo Penta gas. Will keep this posting in mind for the next fishing season.
Really wanted a 2nd diesel but there was the issue more money.
whwells "Howard"
Nibbles 2006 35 Sportfisher Conv.
2004 22 Osprey

Return to “General Discussion”