• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Two week Journey

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Two week Journey

Post by Legacy »

Hi all. My wife and I are taking Legacy on a 2-week trip starting Monday August 5. Weather-permitting we'll depart Boston to Pocasset/Red Brook Harbor for night 1. Then to Block Island for two nights, a night near Mystic and then to Guilford/Branford for a few nights. Our return will include Newport and maybe Martha's Vineyard. Anyone around, we'll be on vhf channels 9/13/16/69.

Any tips on where to stay on Block Island and maybe someplace on the CT shore for our return trip appreciated.

FYI - we just updated our electronics to the Raymarine C127 system with the Navionics Platinum chip. Any tips/experience with these units appreciated too. So far, very pleased.

Cheers.

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Two week Journey

Post by DougSea »

Hey Rick!

I'm dying to get out to Block and the Vineyard...hopefully we'll be back in operation soon.

I'm partial to the Boat Basin and the very short walk to The Oar (head of the dock). If you want more amenities you'd hit Champlins (pool, beach), and the more raucous fishing crowd is at Paine's Dock. Of course I'm assuming you want to be in a slip. Champlin's will be the longest walk to town, Paine's is the shortest. Rent a scooter and tour the Island, it's beautiful.

Kat and I really enjoyed our trip to the Vineyard two years ago, spent several nights on a mooring in Edgertown harbor, and, based on RicM's recommendation, a night on the hook in Lake Tashmoo. We're aiming to repeat that soon.

Have a great time!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Legacy »

Have a great trip yourself Doug!
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

hey Rick -

I'm sure that you're aware ... $ 40 or $ 45 bucks for an apple green mooring in Great Salt Pond at Block / free water taxi and pumpout. Get there by early, early afternoon or they will be taken. I've hailed the harbormaster before and have been set-up on a private mooring. You can Pirate a shower beneath the Oar! :wink:

FWIW: Do a night at Mystic Seaport. It's a great take, especially after hours when it's closed to the public and most exhibits are still open to the boaters staying on their docks with a lot of staff still working and much more relaxed sharing their knowledge. The Morgan has splashed. 8)

Fair winds and following seas to you!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Legacy »

Thanks Kevin. Love the idea about Mystic. A great destination by land, can't wait to see it by sea!
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

TOY-RIFIC is currently on day 9 of an 11 day trip. Only moorings or the hook for us. Block Is not favorite, too crowded, too many amateurs. More times than not you wake up to see boats that dragged over night until they snagged another rhode or bumped another boat. They often go short on scope due to congestion and then the tides comes in or the wind picks up... Either get a town mooring or radio the harbor master at 3 pm and they will move you to a vacant private mooring. Definitely do this on your last night cause having someone sitting on your hook when you need to pull it is no fun. Our favorites are Watch Hill/Napatree Pt on the hook and Newport on a town mooring.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:Our favorites are Watch Hill/Napatree Pt on the hook and Newport on a town mooring.
Funny you should post this today, my sister in law called me just a few hours ago and said we NEED to hit Watch Hill once we're back running. Where do you stay?

As for Block, we do it on the fringes (early or late season) and love it.
Doug
Sonny IV
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Yes block on the shoulder season can be an entirely different experience. Here's a chart of watch hill, the boats will anchor along the inside of the barrier island. We anchor under the word Dock knowing we'd be running the dinghy into the village often. Last weekend when we were hanging on the hook Erika spotted Taylor swift and Ed sheeran on paddle boards so we jumped in the dinghy and motored over for a quick hello. Grace and Elle were somewhat freaking out to say the least!

Your mention of shoulder season reminds me of a good place for your trip Rick. Saybrook Inn & Spa, you can treat Colleen to a surprise spa session and pick up some good points along the way :wink: We have been there 3 years on Columbus day weekend, very nice, great facilities. Marina can be a little rolly but not too bad. Definitely worth a visit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:Erika spotted Taylor swift and Ed sheeran on paddle boards so we jumped in the dinghy and motored over for a quick hello. Grace and Elle were somewhat freaking out to say the least!
For the girls: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-new ... es-2013297
Doug
Sonny IV
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Legacy »

Yup, Block Island was a scene. Never saw so many boats crammed into one marina. (Champlins)

Snotty weather yesterday traveling to Old Saybrook. staying at Saybrook Point Marina.

Guilford tomorrow for a few nights. Then heading to Mystic, Newport and one more spot on the way home.

An Albin in every port by the way!

Having my engine synchronizer looked at today. Won't engage my port throttle which kind of defeats the purpose!

Safe travels guys.
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Legacy »

Met a very nice couple on Block. Tracy and John from "Home Instead" were even wearing AOG t-shirts. They noticed our 35 and came by to say hello.
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Legacy wrote:Met a very nice couple on Block. Tracy and John from "Home Instead" were even wearing AOG t-shirts. They noticed our 35 and came by to say hello.
Yeah I got a text with a pic of your transom the other day. A great couple with 2 wonderful daughters, no doubt.

In Saybrook I recommend the Sheperd's Pie w/ a Hefeneizen draft at the Penny Lane Pub :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “General Discussion”