• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel Polishing

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Fuel Polishing

Post by DougSea »

jleonard wrote:That filter doesn,t look that bad based on ones i have seen. It is doing it,s job.
True, but this is a filter with just 8 hours on it, and on a non-moving boat. I'd consider it a sign of crud in the tank and, well, I don't want any!

jleonard wrote:I consider fuel polishing a little like playing solitaire. It's something to do if there is nothing else to do.
And also true! :) Since there's nothing else I can do about my fuel, this is the (noisy!) game for me! I'm of the mindset that it COULD help, and it can't hurt.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n/a

Post by TimQ »

Doug, I think you did the right thing. Are you using a 30 micron filter?
TQ
Curt.anderson
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Niceville, FL

Post by Curt.anderson »

I have a question. In the flying field we use an additive called PRIST to control the bugs in Jet A fuel. Will that work in diesel fuel?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Tqoops wrote:Doug, I think you did the right thing. Are you using a 30 micron filter?
The dirty one is a 2. I had every intention of starting with a 30 but I left the box of elements at home when I went to fire it up the first time. It (the Racor) had come with a 2 so I just ran it with that. Since it really didn't matter if suction built up I didn't worry about it.

The one in it now is a 30.
Doug
Sonny IV
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Curt.anderson wrote:I have a question. In the flying field we use an additive called PRIST to control the bugs in Jet A fuel. Will that work in diesel fuel?
I haven't heard of that one, but there are a number of biocides that are often added to marine diesel. The issue is getting rid of the dead bodies of the little critters!
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “Albin Maintenance”