• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Black soot

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Black soot

Post by kjg1951 »

I just came back from a 4.5 hour cruise,upon arrival i had a hugh amount of black soot covering the entire back transom. I have a 1994 28T Volvo 225hp ... what is causing the massive amt of black soot . I was running at 2500rpm at 14 + knots. Any thoughts any additives i should be in ??? thank you for your help and suggestions....
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Black soot

Post by Tree »

What model Volvo is it? Is it the KAD41 range of engines?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kjg1951 »

kamd 42b
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Is it just a soot residue on the stern of the boat? These engines need to be run quite hard, Volvo state 200 rpm below WOT although we always ran out AD41p at around 3300/3400 rpm trouble free for 1200 hours and not the stated 3700 rpm Volvo suggest.

2500 rpm is near the point where the supercharger cuts out on these engines and the turbo takes over. At a guess, if its just a bit of soot on the transom, the engine hasn't been run hard enough, this isn't good for the aftercooler as they will eventually soot up and need cleaning.

If however, you are getting clouds of black smoke then it is clearly something else. Normally, these are bomb proof engines and last for many, many hours of use.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

I don't know about your engine, but I do know that when we have found a lot of soot on previous boats' transoms, we also find lots of barnacles on the prop. The problem has gone away as soon as the barnacles are removed. I hope it's just that simple for your boat and not something more serious.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I'm also assuming that's a "conventional" engine with mechanical injectors. A friend with a different engine (Caterpillar 3116) had the injection timing adjusted and found that he gets a lot less smoke and soot. Over time the injection system "retarded" itself and was no longer firing at the right time, causing soot and reduced power. Might be worth checking out.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kjg1951 »

Here is a pic of the transom and swim platform ... i dont have a large amount of black smoke visible when under way ... I am going to try to add Valvtect Diesel Guard Heavy Duty/Marine additive as per my Volvo mechanic. He tought the injectors needed a cleaning....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

If you do have the injectors reset, make sure the company doing them are aware the nozzles are bronze - injectors are normally done at 1000 hours or so.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”