• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Water heater almost killed my wife...

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Robb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Water heater almost killed my wife...

Post by Robb »

Just got back from our summer 2 week boating trip. It started out rough.

We got up early on the second morning, before sun up early as we had a long run. My wife made instant coffee using the galley tap hot water as it gets really hot and did not turn on the lights as the kids were sleeping. Drank it down and then started making instant oatmeal for the kids. She noticed the water was PINK! Took me a moment and then I realized that the water heater had a heat exchanger and SHE WAS DRINKING ANTIFREEZE. Not the safer propylene glycol stuff mind you but the HD Cummins Extended Life stuff. She was on the phone to poison control while we ran back to port and they monitored her for the rest of the day. She is thankfully OK.

The 17 year old Raridan water heater had burst internally- pretty rare according to our mechanic. Will be yanking it out soon and replacing with a new unit. Thinking of the Kuuma units as they are cheaper and lighter.
Robb Stilnovich
"Stella Maris" 1996 28TE #279
Cummins 6BTA-370
Tacoma, WA
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Re: Water heater almost killed my wife...

Post by slimjim »

O My Robb, thats horrible, I am glad everyone is okay and your wife had no problems.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Holy crap! First I've heard of that happening too. I'm glad she and the family are all okay!!

I had a Force 10 which later became Kuuma ... same units. It was a great unit and when the unit hit around 8 years old the hi-temp limiter went and I called them for parts. The owner answered the phone and appreciated my effort to just replace parts and not abandoned the unit. He sent me a heating coil, hi-temp limiter and t-stat all at no charge except for a nominal 7 bucks to cover shipping. He transferred me to his secretary and she said I got lucky having him pick-up the phone as he always does that when he jumps in to help. After that, I'm a kuuma guy for life!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

i guarantee you with my wifes sense of smell and taste she never would have gotten the first sip of coffee down.
just sayin.....glad everone is o.k.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

That explains what the pink colour is in the hot water on My buddies boat is then, also on my survey report it showed it on the deck shower. We just assumed it was some sort of winterizing additive.

Pitou, is it an easy enough repair?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Tree wrote:That explains what the pink colour is in the hot water on My buddies boat is then, also on my survey report it showed it on the deck shower. We just assumed it was some sort of winterizing additive.

Pitou, is it an easy enough repair?
Tree - The pink antifreeze that your surveyor found on deck was more than likely the biodegradable non toxic Propylene Glycol that we use to winterize our fresh water systems and raw water side of our engines. Generally the fresh water & hot water tanks get drained and by-passed in this process. The fresh water tank because it takes an awful lot of Propylene Glycol to get the tank to the point of the pump working. Usually the P G is pumped through just above the fresh water pump by disconnecting the Pex Tubing and utilizing a hose into the bottle of P G. The hot water tank is drained and by-passed because it's a bear to get the odor out once the heating element gets turned on.

To your question:
An easy DIY repair replacing those 3 items items. Disconnect shore power and all sources of AC power and a couple of small nuts and screws for each item and it's done in a short afternoon. If you do not have the manual you can find most of them on-line at the manufactures site.

These are the Kuuma Parts that I replaced:
Heating element.jpg
Hi- temp limiter.jpg
thermostat.jpg

Robb's issue with the indirect heating loop from the engine requires a new hot water tank unit. A much bigger job, often requiring the removal of lots of other gear to get to it, but doable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Kevin, that explains why my buddy can't get rid of the smell then in his hot water, however his water is still slightly pink after using the boat for half a year - no where as strong as it originally was. Still it gives me a chance to drain and flush the system before we use the boat, although isn't the hot water also heated from the engine, therefore it would have been run on sea trial....

I'll just have to wait and see!

Anyway, here the stuff to clarify thats what it is
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

My understanding is that the PG antifreeze should NOT be heated, as a smell and a taste are then imparted to the water.

Still, after months of use I'd think the color would be gone.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”