• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

starting a peninsular

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Joe/Fran
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North Kingstown RI

starting a peninsular

Post by Joe/Fran »

I have a 1997 Albin with a 300 h.p. penninsular. To start the engine I have to use both the one year old 8D batteries.I have a new alternator, and a just rebuilt starter. The charging system is working according to both my volt meter and volt indicator on my G.P.S. which read 14 volts after running the engine for a shor t time. Could the glow plugs be draining the voltage enough so one battery is not enough to start the engine? Do other penninsular owners find it the same?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: starting a penninsular

Post by DougSea »

I had no trouble starting with just the 8D.

Did it start well before the starter rebuild? I had to replace my starter and the new one didn't have the same "ummpff" as the original. I think the gear was different. Are you sure the batteries are good? I know you said they're just a year old, but...
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Joe/Fran
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Joe/Fran »

The batteries test good. after talking to a mechanic friend my next steps are to see how much the starter draws,replace the solenoid which is separate from the starter and check all the cables and cable ends that come from the batteries to the starter and to the engine block. Since I bought the boat I had to use both batteries to start the engine. I will complete these steps and see what happens.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Peninsular recommends two batteries for starting. It's in the manual.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Dudley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Islesboro, Maine---Pripet landing The north east end of the island

Post by Dudley »

1994 28TE
My Penninsular kept getting harder to start. I had to use two batteries and it would crank over forever before starting. The glow plugs were on a timer. I had the timer increased and it helped a little. I had to replace the starter. Finally I just put in an Yanmar 6LPA-STP. Now starting is no problem. Top end went from 17 knots to 27 knots WOT. Fuel burn now is 2 GPKm. at 20 knots. 6 GPKn at 6 knots. There was some discussion of a class action against Albin for installing the Penninsular 10 years ago. I have a neighbor with a later model 28TE with an earlier 6LPA-STP. Her top speed is 20 knots. She has the same fuel burn I do. We both burned 82 gallons on a trip from Islesboro, ME to the cape cod canal.
Joe/Fran
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Joe/Fran »

Talked to peninsular and they told me the old style prestolite starters [ which is what I have] use a lot of amps . Changing to a new model starter would help. I am very satisfied with the peninsular engine. It is as reliable as any I have seen, easy to work on and parts are reasonably priced [as far as boat parts are] . Last year the overall average fuel consumption was 5.5 gal./ hr. This year it seems I cannot get a day with reasonably calm seas, and my average so far is 6 gals/ hr. I have a manual glow plug system and after holding the button for 8 to 10 sec. it starts right up.
I cruise at 19 kt. at 2800 to 3000 r.p.m.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”