• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Volvo

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Volvo

Post by kjg1951 »

I have a 1994 KAMD42B 225hp 6 cyl. in my 28 Albin TE My temp is going above 205 , it is usually at 180. i am thinkng it is the water pump impellar. I have located the water pump, is it nesseary to pull the whole pump off or can i just remove the plate and change it that way. It does seem to not have nough room to remove the plate. So how difficult is it to remove the entire pump? thank you
Kevin G
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Volvo

Post by DougSea »

Removing the plate would at least let you see the condition of the impeller. If there's not a lot of room to get to the plate then there won't be enough room to get the impeller out/in, so yes, the pump would have to be removed. Can't comment on how hard that is or isn't for the KAMD.

The problem could also be your heat exchanger. Or both! :-)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

On the KAD engines, there are three areas to look for:

Raw water inlet pipe up to the impeller

The impeller

Oil cooler - be careful with these as they are raw water cooled and just let go, the connecting face to the engine is aluminium to cast iron and the aluminium pits letting oil by pass the face.

Aftercooler, is another possibility but doubtful I had over 1000 hours on my previous no supercharged version of that engine and had never had an issue.

Is this on a shaft drive or on a leg as if its the latter then the pick up will need to be checked.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

oh and changing the impeller is easy just undo the 6 screws on the front and pull it out, grease the new one up to aid fitting.

one other thing, have you checked what we call over here, the strum box? its the black capped pot above the impeller housing, if you suspect the pipe work is blocked, pour a couple of buckets of fresh water down the hole to flush it out. I'ts possible you've picked up some weed and its blocked.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Don't rule out a blockage at the pickup (intake) strainer due to marine growth. As far as the raw water pump, I always recommend pulling the pump as it keeps the hardware serviceable and you refit and tighten the hoses and clamps...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

RobS wrote:Don't rule out a blockage at the pickup (intake) strainer due to marine growth. As far as the raw water pump, I always recommend pulling the pump as it keeps the hardware serviceable and you refit and tighten the hoses and clamps...

The only issue with this is that if the boat is on a sterndrive, there is no seacock to turn the water off and the pipework is below the waterline. The raw water pump is up quite high on the Volvo and the strum box is above the engine.

I seem to remember that stem to stern have some good exploded diagrams on their website if thats of any use
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”