• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Still Shredding Belts with New Alternator? Need some Help

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Still Shredding Belts with New Alternator? Need some Hel

Post by mudskipper »

By Jove I think we got it ! A bolt to a belt will sure shred it or make dust. The picture was a tip off . many minds on this problem. By the bye did you show the original mechanic all this chatter on the Albin site? Jay
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Post by slimjim »

Tree wrote:Looking at that again, I reckon that the washer under the bolt on the right hand side, should be under the bracket on the left hand side. Reason being, if you bring the alternator forward to align it, then the head of that bolt on the right hand end is going to hit the belts - hence why i don't think that washer is in the right place.

Wow, I never thought about that washer, maybe thats my problem, ran a fishing trip yesterday about 20 miles and the belts started to squeal again, and I found just a little bit of belt dust and the outside belt is a little loose again.

It could be that the belt as hitting the nut due to the washer pushing the nut close to the 1st belt??

Not sure but I will put the washer on the other side (left side) so the nut can be closer to the alt and see if that is my problem. Thanks everyone!! I will take more pictures and I hope I can get this problem fixed. Again thanks for everyones input. Jim
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by slimjim »

Tree wrote:
slimjim wrote:The boat is a Albin 28TE with the 315 Yanmar engine. 2002 model year. Yesterday we put new belts on and the alinement all looked good the belts seemed just right.

We had a fishing trip today and ran 20 miles today and put 6 hours on new belts, no squeal and 14 on the volt meter all day long, but we did find some belt dush when we got in today.

Here is a picture of our belts after we put the new belts on yesterday.
photo.JPG

it looks to me like an alignment issue, the alternator is sitting too far forward from that picture - shouldn't there be a spacer behind the bracket that holds it in place, thus bringing the alignment back true?

One other question, is it both belts or just one belt that is shredding?
Yes both belts are shredding, and we had this problem with both alts as well.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Alt loks out of line to me too. I,d remove the washer and see what that loks like.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by slimjim »

another picture
photo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by slimjim »

picture 2 from today
photo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by slimjim »

picture 3
photo.JPG
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Difficult to see on those three pictures Jim, theres a bit too much glare from the casting. Can you get an overhead directly square to the end of the pulley picture - I'm confident that its an alignment issue, it will be something daft like a spacer (washer) has been fitted on the wrong side I'm sure!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I am spending a few nights aboard so I just took this pic for you to compare. My alignment is true. I installed this set of belts two seasons ago and have not had to adjust since initial adjustment.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by slimjim »

RobS wrote:I am spending a few nights aboard so I just took this pic for you to compare. My alignment is true. I installed this set of belts two seasons ago and have not had to adjust since initial adjustment.
wow, you have the washer on the same side as me, your alignment looks better then mine. I will have to do more checking. My belts keep getting loose after a few trips as well. I will get better pictures today and post them Sunday. Thanks for all you guys feed back. Jim
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

Jim I put a new alternator on my Yanmar 315 this year the new alternator mached up and was the same as the old one but the shop put a new pully on the new alternator and when I put it back in the boat the belts were not in line with the other pullys I had to take it back to the shop and after searching through a bin of old alternators we found my old one and put the old pully on the new alternator put it back in the boat and it has been working fine the guy at the shop told me that pully is a Yanmar part
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by slimjim »

saltshaker28 wrote:Jim I put a new alternator on my Yanmar 315 this year the new alternator mached up and was the same as the old one but the shop put a new pully on the new alternator and when I put it back in the boat the belts were not in line with the other pullys I had to take it back to the shop and after searching through a bin of old alternators we found my old one and put the old pully on the new alternator put it back in the boat and it has been working fine the guy at the shop told me that pully is a Yanmar part
I had the same problem with the old alt and when I bought the new alt the shop pulled the pullys off the old alt and put the pullys on the new alt so I have the same pullys. Maybe I need to buy new yanmar pully? Anyone have that part number of where I can buy some new pullys for the alt and the front of the engine?

Return to “Albin Maintenance”