• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

zf irm 220a-1 oil capacity

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

zf irm 220a-1 oil capacity

Post by amber jj »

I changed the oil in the transmissions today.The tag calls for 4 litres of sae30 non detergent oil.They both measured a little low on the stick before the oil change,but after I pumped the oil out of both trannys I ended up with a only 4.5 quarts between the 2 total.When I refilled with the required 4 quarts(litres)per trans.I am way over filled according to the dipstick reading.When I pump the oil out I used the drain hose,so I should have got all the oil out to start with.
Does anyone else use these transmissions and have changed the oils themselves before or know where I might be going wrong? Any help would be appreciated as I would like to use the old girl soon.Thanks Bob
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: zf irm 220a-1 oil capacity

Post by Pitou »

FYI: Not sure how your measuring the oil ... dipstick screwed in or resting on top? ZF says to not screw in when checking fluid level.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by amber jj »

I drained a litre of oil out of each trans tonight It was still a little high and yes I was pushing the stick all the way down.I will check again in the morning.With the stick resting on the top I think it will be pretty close.Thanks for the tip Kevin,that's what I was looking for.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by amber jj »

I checked the oil again today and it was pretty much bang on.I don't know where that 4 litre capacity came from on the trans I.D.tag,unless they take the oil cooler into consideration too.I don't think it would drain out on its own while draining the trannys.Thanks again Kevin for clueing me in how to check the dipstick.

While now that's all the oil and filters changed for the engines,transmissions,and genny,9 filters in all.

Tomorrow we will do a quick renaming ceremony.Last week we did the denaming,so that gave the gods a good week to purge all the old records.Just before Christmas we received all our documentation papers,so now we have all our ducks in a row and are ready to go.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

amber jj wrote: Tomorrow we will do a quick renaming ceremony.Last week we did the denaming,so that gave the gods a good week to purge all the old records.Just before Christmas we received all our documentation papers,so now we have all our ducks in a row and are ready to go.
Just remember that the toast poured into the water has to be the best of the booze being consumed...never short change Poseidon!!

Best of luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”