• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bilge Pump

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Bluey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: No Boat, No Port

Bilge Pump

Post by Bluey »

I need some ideas. The boat: Albin 28TE, engine box, Yanmar 6lp, new aft bilge pump 2012, new engine water pump 2013. The problem: after cruising for an hour at 10-14 knots, the aft bilge pump light comes on. If I slow down off "plane", the light goes back off after 1-2 minutes. But when I resume speed, the light comes back on after up to 3 minutes. Peering over the side while the light is on and while at spped shows only burbles of water coming out the thru-hull. The pump light does not go off by itself if I maintain speed. I don't see any accumulation of water under the engine box but opening the box while underway scares the bejeebers out of the dog and is noisy as L. Ideas? If the new water pump/hoses were leaking, as happened during shakedown, I wouldn't expect the light to come back on so quickly when it took so long to come on in the first place (unless the bilge pump uptake is improperly placed relative to the float switch). Stumped.
Maurice the Boatless
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Bilge Pump

Post by DougSea »

My quick reaction is that the switch is positioned in such a way that when you're on plane the bilge water lifts the switch enough to turn on the pump, but that the pump is not submerged. So, pump on, but no water flow.

Can you leave the dog home and get someone to drive the boat for you so you can look while underway? (It does get a bit loud!)

Actually, thinking about loud...bring along a pair of ear protectors. You'll be better able to concentrate on what you're looking at without having that noise pummeling you. I keep a pair in my engine room.

As for the timing you describe, I'm wondering if there's a limber hole or some such that slows the flow of water fore and aft. So it takes a while to flood the area as you speed up, and the same again as she drains back down.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

If you are underway (on plane) the only hatch you need to open to check for water accumulation is the rear most center hatch (the one over the rudder). If you have water accumulating there then it's time to leave the dog home, don the safety ear muffs and check the engine raw water loop while underway at different rpm's.

How quick that rear pump comes on is directly related to the angle of the boat. If you are bow high that rear pump will come easily.

Peering over the side? Are you sure you are looking at the thru-hull for the rear pump and not the mid-ship pump.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

I routinely check mine underway. Of course I do my engine checks (oil, coolant, transmission, and all-around leak checks before leaving the dock, but I learned from a friend that's done the Great Loop that after about 10-15 minutes, w/no other indications of problems (lights, alarms, etc.), it's still a good idea to turn over the helm, grab your flashlight and pop the top....it won't take 2 minutes to see if you have any leaks or water, particularly where the rear float switch is mounted. There's a really good line of sight on the starboard side just in front of the raw water intake pump on an angle down to the float switch (at least on mine). Try it sitting still. I'm telling you, waiting that little time, doing the check, and seeing nothing gives you tremendous piece of mind for the remainder of the days boating. I do agree with Doug, I thing you've got just enough water when on a plane to lift the switch, but really aren't picking up anything substantive. Hey, at least you know the pump and light are working. Good Luck!
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

You definately want to check pumps and switches underway.

Last season I had an experience with my aft bilge pump. The switch had been acting up on occasion but I hadn't gotten around to replacing it. With my friend's 10 year old son and his friend on board, we left for a short cruise. I wanted to make sure the boat could reach full RPM and brought her up to 3900 rpm. After reaching full rpm I let her run for a couple of minutes and then slowed. As I slowed, water that had accumulated at the stern rushed forward and the bow dipped severe enough to really get my attention. The forward bilge kicked on immediately. I honestly thought that I was going to sink the boat right then and there. It scared me half to death.

My first thought was that I had to get these kids to safety without scaring them. Thankfully I was just a couple of miles from Standish Boat Yard. I called on the radio and then cell phone. They readied the crane in case a quick haul was needed. The no wake rules went out the window as I high tailed it to the dock. Ken jumped on as I pulled in and I put the two kids on the dock. Catastrophe averted.

The water pump shaft seal had failed and at full rpms I was pumping the ocean into the boat pretty quickly. If that rear switch had been functioning correctly, the whole situation would have been a lot less stressful.

Check the switches and pumps each time you leave the dock. I try to open the rear hatch each time I leave the dock just to be sure there is no water accumulating.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

Not sure if this will help but I had this problem on a different boat years ago. Anyway I solved the problem by turning the pump around 180 degrees. I put it down to the ball of mercury in the switch rolling onto the electric contacts when the nose of the boat rose on the plane.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

But when I resume speed, the light comes back on after up to 3 minutes. Peering over the side while the light is on and while at spped shows only burbles of water coming out the thru-hull
I have Golden Retrievers and they shed. I routinely have to clear hair from the pickup.

Just a thought...
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Bluey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: No Boat, No Port

Post by Bluey »

I'm still working on this. We moved the switch up a bit and jiggled the pickup hose down some (I think), and that helped, but the light still came on after a couple hours, and went off when I came off plane. I have 3 bilge pump switches: bilge pump, bilge pump fwd, bilge pump aft. Unless I'm totally missing it, I don't see a pickup under the aft-most hatch, but I also don't see any water to speak of there. The one with the pickup under the engine pumps out through the 3rd of the through hulls on the side (the forward pumps through the second). I'll pop the engine box this weekend when the light comes on to see what's up. Thanks to all who responded!
Maurice the Boatless

Return to “Albin Maintenance”