• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boats and Cursing

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Albin_Bda
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Boats and Cursing

Post by Albin_Bda »

For the second time this week I have cursed all boat builders and outfitters. First, to the blockhead who installed the "Good Windlass" (and I'm sure it was good 30 odd years ago, but its time came), and used 3 standard bolts and nuts and then used one metric bolt and a lock nut. Thanks.....that was a head scratcher made even more interesting upside down with one hand and wrench in the rope locker. 30 mins to take off one nut......arguably I must be the real nut!

And today trying to fix a stuck float switch in the aft cabin. Did I mention I am 6' and 170 lbs and NOT 3' tall, 90 lbs with 5' arms?? Who the hell designed the access for this bilge? And it didn't help that my 3 year old dropped a rock (she called it a "shell") on my head. "Splunk" into the bilge that I can't reach......it might be in there a while at this rate. And while I'm on a rant, it must have been 90 degrees in the aft cabin down the mine shaft where the float switch is.....

But oh, thanks for installing the float on an aluminium arm so I could lift it out.....AFTER unscrewing one phillips screw only to find (did I mention I was upside down in a mine shaft hanging by by toe nails with rocks being dropped on my head?) that the other screw was a ^&%$(*ing FLATHEAD screw? Thats when I started cursing.......who the hell uses one flat head and one phillips head screw? AAAARRRAAAAAGGGGGGHHHH!!!

End of rant. Ok....I feel better now. Thanks! Did I mention that I LOVE boating? :)

Be well
Peter
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Boats and Cursing

Post by DougSea »

I don't know Peter, must be your boat. I've NEVER experienced ANYTHING like that. Nope. Never.

:)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
kirley
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: moss landing ca.

Post by kirley »

The monkey was on your back that day, he gets bored and moves on, HATE those days!
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

My Good windlass crapped out and removing it was a challenge. Been there and done that.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudskipper »

You have been worked over by the sludge goddess ,Try burnt offerings. My little Rose rolled a couple of jawbreakers into the exhaust on my then newly restored '57 BMW single [R 26] and heard some very colorful language. Always my favorite tool passer tho , be nice to your girl and in about5 years you may have boating buddy. Jay Aquarius
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Why make your children wait till they get to first grade to learn to cuss?
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki

Return to “Albin Maintenance”