• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

painted hulls

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Parker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: painted hulls

Post by Parker »

2012 update:

This spring I touched-up some scratches (into the gel coat) and a bunch of scuff marks (into the Poli-Glow) by the wet sanding method. The wet sanding is really easy and makes pretty quick work of carefully removing eyesores. After all the "blemishes" were removed, I applied another four coats of Poli Glow over the entire hull. Probably spent another $60?? and three hours or so of shoulder work. My boat has never looked better. The wet sanding made the difference. The scrub pads and poli-ox I used in the past for touch-up were ok, but the wet sanding is the method I'll use going forward.

Hoping to get another couple of seasons before I strip off all the PG down to the gel coat and start all over again.
1994 28 TE
Peninsular 300 TD Beast
soft top
ralphwink

Post by ralphwink »

I just bought a 2000 28TE hull # 28541 and it is my understanding that at least in 2000 Albin was using color in the gelcoat. The boat I bought was Awlgrip painted in 2006 by owner #2. I almost bought a 2004 that was green gelcoat and VERY faded. I was quoted $5000 for a new paint job that would hold up in FL. My previous boat was a 2004 Acadia 25 that was blue, the builder in Cape Coral FL would not even consider a blue gelcoat hull instead he highly recommended painting the hull whatever color you wanted because "colored get coat just does not hold up".
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

I've enjoyed following this post and reading all of the reviews. About 8-9 years ago, I found out about Poli Glow and used it on a Grady White that I owned; it made the hull look brand new! Over the next 4-5 years I continued to apply 3-4 coats every spring until I sold the boat. The hull looked great and I know helped me sell the boat so quickly.

About 4 years ago I went to "The dark side" and purchased a sailboat. After cleaning the hull with the Poli Prep, I applied 6-7 coats of Poli Glow and the hull looked great. I continued adding 3-4 coats every season and the boat looked beautiful.

Last fall, I sold the sailboat and purchased a 1987 Albin 27 FC in December 2011. The hull already looked good, but I scrubbed the hull with Poli Prep and applied 7 coats of Poli Glow....the hull looks brand new! Every boat is different, but I've been 100% satisfied with the product. I do spend a lot of time getting the hull ready and wet sand any imperfections that may not look good once the Poli Glow is applied. The hull is white and I have heard that it can be difficult to get an even finish on a colored hull.

John
"Nirvana"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

JFOkie wrote:...I do spend a lot of time getting the hull ready and wet sand any imperfections that may not look good once the Poli Glow is applied. The hull is white and I have heard that it can be difficult to get an even finish on a colored hull.
I was very happy with it on our 28 (Blue hull). I think your point about prep is well made. As the manufacturer says "If you don't get all the dirt off you'll have shiny dirt"! :(
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Parker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Parker »

2013 update

Pretty much repeated the same steps from last spring: washed hull, wet sanded blemishes with 600 grit paper, applied 4 coats of PG. Took about 2 hours start to finish. She looks great again. This time I used leftover PG from last year. First time I’ve ever tried using older PG. We’ll see how that works out……
1994 28 TE
Peninsular 300 TD Beast
soft top
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Can you describe the wet sanding technique for someone who has never done it? I'll be sanding white gelcoat to prep for Finesse-it and Collinine wax. Thanks
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
popeye
Swabby
Swabby

Post by popeye »

Hey Guys,

I have a 2002 28 that had factory blue. Every year at haul out it was a pain to polish the oxidization out of her. So I bit the bullet and had it painted last week with Alex Seal. Let me tell you it's fantastic! I'm glad I did it as she's a head turner!
chic belmont
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: rock hall md

Post by chic belmont »

After having my 35 TE hull professionally compounded and waxed at least once a year i decided to have it repainted.The original dark blue color.Had Jack Houk at Lighthouse Marina in Ponce Inlet FL do this job as he has over 35 years exp in doing paint and fiberglass work. He used All Craft products similar to Imron total sanding faring and refinishing with three coats of paint the last coat was 50/50 paint and clear coat mixed.After running over 1000 miles just needed washed off with fresh water to look at least twice as good as the original jell coat from the factory.total time to do this job with favorable weather in Janurary of this year was 10 days haulout to splash.total cost out the door was 4000.00.Im extreemely pleased as i had been quoted over 3000 at two other yards for roll and tip jobs.(you wouldnt have a body shop repaint your Mercedes with a brush would you???]Thanks Chic ...PS see you at herrington Harbor June 28&29.
popeye
Swabby
Swabby

Post by popeye »

Painted and ready to go! Alex Seal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by popeye on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Great Lakes, Canada

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

Thought I would throw my two cents in on this thread. There is another product called VertGlass that has been on the market for many years before Poliglow. It is a very similar product with similar application steps. I started using it about a decade ago on my old 30ft express cruiser which was heavily oxidized and used it right up until I sold it. I was quite pleased with the product and unlike the removal problems with Poliglow, the Vertglass product could be removed easily and quickly. In fact you had to be careful not to use alkaline cleaners as these would dissolve the finish. It is durable however and once I was able to get 4 years before re-coating but it was yellowing badly by this point. So there you all go, another option in your battle against the sun.

Return to “General Discussion”