• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sonny IV is down...

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Sonny IV is down...

Post by DougSea »

Thanks Rob, I do appreciate that. If you were closer I'd come pick you up! :)

Not pulling the engine (yet anyway) but you really can't get to the outside or top of the engine with the hatches in place. I wasn't joking about having the cell phone to call for an extraction. 1/2 inch further to the front and I wouldn't have been able to reach the connector! And there's not enough topside clearance to pull the injectors. About the only real negative thing I'd have to say about the boat - major engine access is a PITA! And starboard, naturally the side I'm working on, is the worse side. On the port side there are two access hatches from the 2nd stateroom. None to starboard. Since the interior is coming out for a second time I'm going to look at the possibility of putting in some kind of small access hatch that can be gotten to without pulling everything. Under the fridge is a possibility.

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted. I'm going to have a great season, I'm going to have a great season, I'm going to have a great season...

:)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

This may have come up before (perhaps by me) but with all that technology going on isn't there some scanner that plugs in to figure this out, some OBD-II type system?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Yes, and no. Depending on what's wrong it's possible for no fault to show up. Right now the on-board electronics are happy as clams. Smelly, smokey clams.

If I disconnect an injector from the harness it picks that up, but it doesn't know that a cylinder isn't firing.

There's supposed to be more that they can tell, but since the Volvo expert isn't local I want to have everything opened up and ready for him.
Doug
Sonny IV
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

Hopefully it is a simple sensor issue or poor ground. Haven't worked on one of these injections but looks
to be pretty straightforward. Rail pressure would be a good test. Pressure sensor seems to have been
superceded once or twice and may deserve close a look.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

rtgcwhite wrote:Hopefully it is a simple sensor issue or poor ground.
Seemed like a good avenue of investigation so I went down to the boat and cleaned up all of the engine grounds, and then the + side as well.

No change.

At this point I'm pulling the cabinetry out. At the very least it will give me clear access to all of the engine and I can check all of the wiring on the far side. And if the mechanic has to get at the injectors and such, they'll be readily accessible.
Doug
Sonny IV
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Depressing...
2013-05-30 16.15.12.jpg
But at least I feel like I'm doing something.

I think the fact that I went down and attacked the interior on a day when summer decided to show up has convinced the yard that I'm serious about getting this done. We'll see.

I did try re-seating all of the engine harness connectors, just in case, but no change. While I have her open I'm going to re-route a few wires and change the engine room lighting over to LED.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Doug, not that I am a diesel mechanic but could your issues be a head gasket problem. Black smoke. oil in system and water in the oil. Just a thought.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Serenity wrote:Doug, not that I am a diesel mechanic but could your issues be a head gasket problem. Black smoke. oil in system and water in the oil. Just a thought.
True Max. Hopefully not the case but I'm not ruling anything out.

The smoke is more gray than black and smells highly of unburned fuel AND she ran well after the first injector replacement. I'm still hoping for an electronic or fuel delivery problem, but we'll see.
Doug
Sonny IV
erice
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n. kingstown ri

Post by erice »

Have you found your problem? Pics?

Return to “Albin Maintenance”