• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

EBoatCards

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

EBoatCards

Post by crowra »

If you familiar with Active Captain (the "Trip Advisor" for boaters) they have created a new application called eBoatCards, http://eBoatCards.com. eBoatCards looks promising and similar to Facebook -- except it's for boaters. To access eBoatCards, you must have and use your Active Captain account. There is even an app (iOS & Android) to find 'friends' in your vicinity. AND they have a really good contest going on (ends 31 July). Create an eBoatCard and 'friend' me! I need friends. :P

Following is quoted from their official announcement:

Here are some things to do:

- Log onto eBoatCards using your ActiveCaptain account. It will recognize that you don't have an eBoatCard and will help you to create one. Create only one electronic boat card for your boat. And it's all about your boat. If you're a friend, dreamer, marina, boatyard, or business, you can also create a card.

- Start building your network of friends by exchanging electronic cards with others. Use the free iOS and Android apps (search for "eBoatCards Exchange" in Apple's App Store and Google Play) or use the website to exchange cards by searching on boat names. Exchange works when you're near another person (or boat) running the app at the same time.

- Explore the website. Look over the simple blogging capabilities. Think about updating a paragraph about your boat travels or your boating life each time you move your boat. You don't have to compose something big -
just a simple explanation telling your friends what you're doing and where you are. Add a quick picture to show your backyard at anchor, the marina you're at, or the fun you're having. Cross-post/share to Facebook and Twitter to share the posting with your outside-boating friends.

- Check out groups and the categories of the groups that are coming. There are some "eBC" groups to report bugs, discuss what's coming next (provide feedback and ideas), and view Frequently Asked Questions. The groups are very basic because we've been concentrating on getting everything to work instead of adding content ourselves.

- Click the "Suggest a Group" button under Groups if you're in an organization that would like to have a group or have an idea for a group. We'll discuss more about groups in the future - there is much on the way there.

- If you have feedback, use the Contact Us and especially the "eBC" groups. Don't reply to this newsletter. Start a dialog in the proper group to get the feel for how it all works.

There are a couple of rules.

1. eBoatCards is about our cruising and boating experiences. It is not the place to discuss politics, religion, or other sensitive subjects. There are many places for those types of things. eBoatCards isn't it.

2. Almost all content has a Report capability if you think a posting is wrong because of family friendliness, copyright, it's not boating related, or any other reason. Submitting a Report is confidential.

3. This is about creating a community of friends. In most cases, the people you'll be posting to are people you've met in real life. We think that creates a much less anonymous environment where you'll converse in a way that you'd like to be talked to. The golden rule applies here - be nice.

4. Groups will also create interactions between people who don't know each other but have a common bond. We expect the best of behavior to take place in groups and will make sure groups remain a comfortable place to exchange ideas. It's a privilege to use these capabilities, not a right. We will terminate that privilege if it's abused.

5. Commercial postings need to be appropriate. They aren't disallowed but they have to be in context to the subject in a real way. We want industry experts adding to the content. You'll never see a mass of banner ads on the site - we hate them as much as you do. But we believe there are ways to work with commercial interests to bring more value to the boating community while helping the quality businesses thrive. Our relationship with Defender is a perfect example of that.

The Incredible eBoatCards Contest

What better way to kick off eBoatCards than to give away free stuff? Today is the start of the Incredible eBoatCards Contest. We have some terrific prizes being given away by a variety of businesses. And there are a lot of prizes so your chance to win is pretty good.

First the prizes...

Tower Paddle Boards is a producer of top quality stand-up paddle boards (SUP's). You've seen them everywhere. They're fun, safe, and they're the perfect thing to bring along on your cruising adventures. They make an inflatable version that has, "take me on your boat" written all over it.

Think about it - it's fun, it's great exercise, and it's a backup if anything happens to your dinghy. It is not a toy or a cheap inflatable. This is a rock solid, rigid inflatable. And they're throwing in all the options - pump, paddle, detachable center fin, and deck pad. It's a $699 package deal that ships worldwide for free.

The iSUP Package - 6" Adventurer is our Grand Prize and will be given to one very lucky eBoatCards member (details below). For now, check out: http://www.towerpaddleboards.com/iSUP-p ... dv-pkg.htm

Make sure to watch the video.

Next comes one of the best products for your boat's fuel system that you might not know about. We have it on our boat and it is fantastic. It's called a Fuel Fixer R2D2 and if you have Racor 500/900/1000 filters, listen up. You know the T-handle on the Racor filter cover? Well that handle is easily removed and replaced with an R2D2. This nnovative product then gives a green/yellow/red indication of the fuel suction being pulled through your filter. As the filter clogs, the indicator progresses down to red. When it gets to yellow/red, change the filter. It pays for itself in filter savings because you only need to change the filter when it actually needs changing - and what we found immediately is that filters last longer than we ever thought they did.

There are gauges on Racors and we have that too but they only show the vacuum while the engine is running. The R2D2 shows the maximum suction experienced on your fuel system and maintains that reading until you tap the reset button. So stop the engine and check it any time. It's fantastic.

The R2D2's have a direct-to-you cost of $79.99. But they're giving 10 of them away as prizes for using eBoatCards (details below). Read more at: http://www.fuelfixers.com/estore/produc ... ucts_id=86

Rose Point is one of our favorite software developers. Truth be told, we bought and started using Coastal Explorer in 2005, years before ActiveCaptain existed. It's a fantastic product with exceptional capabilities and will turn your Windows laptop or computer into a full chartplotter. It uses free NOAA charts and now has full worldwide chart
support through C-Map. Did you know you can load the real C-Map charts onto Coastal Explorer today? Real Canadian, Caribbean, European charts are available. And Coastal Explorer has all the bells and whistles.

Integrated Coast Pilot, tides and current, full navigation capabilities, an integrated ship's log. Of course you know it works with ActiveCaptain but did you know it also works with Panoramio photos, has unlimited routes, waypoints, boundary circles for alarms, and on and on.

The list price of Coastal Explorer is $399. Defender sells it at a discount. This is a high-end navigation product. And Rose Point is giving away 2 copies (details below). Check out Coastal Explorer: http://www.coastalexplorer.net/

Finally, one of the newest iPhone/iPad navigation products that supports ActiveCaptain is SEAiq. They have 3 versions of their product which all support ActiveCaptain. Raster, vector, navigation, GPS support, AIS data, special OpenCPN support, and too many more features to list. We know the developer. He's a sailor and he writes the code while underway crossing oceans. Literally. I had to wait to ask him a question a few months ago because he was crossing the Indian Ocean. And it shows in his product because he really uses it while underway.

SEAiq is giving away 20 copies of their app for this eBoatCards contest (details below). We'll be talking more about SEAiq in future weeks. For now, check out: http://www.seaiq.com/

If you have an iPhone/iPad, download the free apps and try them out today.

OK, the details...

It's very simple. All you have to do is create your own eBoatCard for your boat, fill out your profile (with privacy controls you specify), and build your network of friends. In order to qualify for a drawing, you need to have 10 friends. And as long as you're doing this, make them real - people that you really know. That'll provide huge benefits to you going forward.

In order to qualify for the Tower iSUP Grand Prize, you have to build your network to 25 friends.

Here's what you need to do...

First, log into eBoatCards with your ActiveCaptain account and create your eBoatCard. This first contest is only for boat profiles so you must have a boat right now. Poke around and see what eBoatCards is all about.

Next start building your friend network. Use the free Exchange apps in the iTunes Store and Google Play or email your friends and get them to sign in to exchange cards on the website.

Friend us right away - aCappella, Castine, ME, US. We're a sure thing and see? You now only need 9 more friends!

When you've qualified for 10 or 25 friends, send us a message through the eBoatCards message system. Go to our card and click "Send Message" in the upper right of our card. Tell us you made it. We'll check it out and add you to the prize or grand prize list. It's that simple.

Winners will be drawn at random from the qualifying members who submit messages to us. We will validate your entry and reply back.

The contest starts right now and continues through July 31st. Prizes will be awarded in early August.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: EBoatCards

Post by jleonard »

I registered but I still don't really know how this will help me.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

I think we will learn more about this as it evolves. No one knew what Facebook was all about at the beginning either. It lets you meet the people behind the reviews on Active Captain.

It looks like a good way to keep up with your friends and meet new ones. We're always looking for more people to cruise around for weekend trips. It's nice to have a little dockside get together with fellow boaters. There are a number of groups starting for different areas, mine happens to be the Southern Chesapeake Bay.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

jleonard wrote:I registered but I still don't really know how this will help me.
8) At first look I have to agree with Jay.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Somewhere I have my boat card from RicM. (It was a bit rude!! :shock: )
So of course I loved it.

I get the concept, we'll have to see how it plays out.

I'm not sure how you "find" people, or more accurately, boats, but if anyone wants to look I set up an account for Sonny. MVSonnyIV AT gmail.com
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Jay: Whether we go out for a night, weekend or week, we always seem to meet new people we would love to keep in touch with. And some of them aren't Albin owners. eBoatCards looks like a great way to remember and keep track of all our boating friends.

John: Fret not. NOTHING will replace AOG! This just complements it.

Doug: As far as 'finding' people, there is an app called Exchange that will locate your friends that are in close proximity. That way when we pull in St. Michaels, we'll know if Lou/Quest is there instead of wondering if he's there.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

crowra wrote:Doug: As far as 'finding' people, there is an app called Exchange that will locate your friends that are in close proximity. That way when we pull in St. Michaels, we'll know if Lou/Quest is there instead of wondering if he's there.
I loaded Exchange on my iPhone. In its current iteration it appears to be just that, you fire up the app, the other guy fires up the app, you "exchange" info. Doesn't, at least for now, function as a locator as you're indicating.

The web site appears to possibly have that ability IF the other boat has updated their location.

All in all an interesting idea that's clearly in its earliest phase. I'm certainly going to give it a try.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote:Somewhere I have my boat card from RicM.
Now those are true classics. A little booze and an internet connection........... 5 days later a little box shows up at your doorstep, "HOLY S*** they really printed those!"

Exchange sounds like a nice "avoidance" app :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:
DougSea wrote:Somewhere I have my boat card from RicM.
they really printed those!"

RicM & Miss K's card has a magnet backing applied, displayed front & center on the fridge in the kitchen. Classic .. :mrgreen:
RobS wrote:Exchange sounds like a nice "avoidance" app :wink:
:lol:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “General Discussion”