• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Horns

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Horns

Post by kathylsails »

My husband spent most of Sunday in the garage, repairing KP Duty's horn. It is the 3rd horn we've had in the three years we have had her. The first was dead when we bought the boat. Peter thought it was because the angle at which it was set allowed water to get in but not drain out, so he changed the angle when installing the second horn. That horn, which was from West Marine, expired within a few months and he took it back and exchanged it for the current one. This one worked for a couple years but only made sad bleating noises when he tried it Sunday. He took it apart and cleaned it and fiddled with it for quite some time until eventually it worked again. He could not find anything wrong with it. Has anyone else had these problems? If so, what solutions have you tried? Any advice is appreciated!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Horns

Post by Pitou »

Still have the original electric single trumpet Ongaro on Pitou and it gets used every time leaving the dock as we need to pass under a train bridge around a blind corner. Slight tilt downward and she sure has taken her share of green water. :shock:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

Thanks. We'll have to look into the Ongaro brand.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote:Still have the original electric single trumpet Ongaro on Pitou and it gets used every time leaving the dock as we need to pass under a train bridge around a blind corner. Slight tilt downward and she sure has taken her share of green water. :shock:
Same here. Mine Ongaro used to sound great under the shrinkwrap but then fill with water until I tipped it down with my "custom" wedge
2012-04-29_10-35-09_926.jpg
2012-04-29_10-34-54_215.jpg
Here's a video with a few toots coming out of a blind basin entrance. This video also demonstrates two things: 1. How to untie a spring line AFTER pulling out of the slip :shock: and 2. Using stern walk and to rotate the boat

http://youtu.be/FV3EMRIdZ6A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

Have the two horn/two tone version on Blue Moon. Nice and loud. Sounds like a train horn.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “Albin Maintenance”