• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Insurance renewal... ouch

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

kirley
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: moss landing ca.

Re: Insurance renewal... ouch

Post by kirley »

Joreyn, good words!
JIMBO44
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PORT ST LUCIE FLORIDA

Post by JIMBO44 »

This discussion has been one of the most informative and valuable of the many great one of AOG. Especially great is the fact that the contributors knew what they were talking about and the info was objective and helpful to many.

Thank you

Jimbo44
28TE
Matter of Time
Engine Box :D
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

I feel like a dope. When I received my Boat US renewal, I thought that it seemed high but paid it. After reading these posts, I looked at my policy from 2012 and I had an 18% increase for this year. There wasn't any notice in the letter saying that there was an increase or why the increase. I understand that they've taken a beating over the past few years with all of the storms, but I have never had a claim and was caught completely off guard. Perhaps it's time to look around and compare rates.

Regards,
John
"Nirvana"
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

John, our BOAT/US renewal came with a cover letter explaining the increase. Seems odd that you didn't receive that. But don't be too quick to kick yourself. I shopped the rate, and BOAT/US was still the lowest. I think a lot depends on the location of the boat.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
johngp@cox.net
Swabby
Swabby

Post by johngp@cox.net »

My renewal went up considerably too, however I was able to decrease the cost by increasing the deductable. I could have also saved some money by decreasing the agreed upon value.

John Powell
Ariadne 27' AC
Chester Ct
Chester B

Post by Chester B »

You may want to get a broker to check out Seaworthy Ins (a Warren Buffett company) they were far lower than Boat US and we saw no increase this year. And this is for a 34 DC year-round in FL; hard to find a company that will even do that.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Chester B wrote:You may want to get a broker to check out Seaworthy Ins (a Warren Buffett company) they were far lower than Boat US and we saw no increase this year. And this is for a 34 DC year-round in FL; hard to find a company that will even do that.
CB - Thanks for bringing up Seaworthy. Funny that you mention Seaworthy as I had never heard of them until yesterday when a marine insurance buddy who has been visiting for the past week mentioned them. He's meeting with them in the upcoming future for a meet & greet dog & pony show before most likely taking them on as a direct writer. He felt that they'll be giving Travelers a run for their money. Though Travelers has been great to me, I'm standing by to do a little shopping.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Post by slimjim »

I got my Ins from Boat US and guess what? The ins binder is Seaworthy! When I call they answer the phone Geico/SEAWORTHY??
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Boat/US is a broker not an insurer.
Don
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

Nancy,

I guess I spoke too soon; I did get an explanation for the increase, I found it in my insurance folder. When I spoke to Boat US about the increase, we looked at the policy and I increased my deductable by a little bit; didn't want to go crazy as I don't think that it's too cost effective. Will look into Seaworthy as a possible option for next year.

John
"Nirvana"

Return to “General Discussion”