• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Removal of Radar arch

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Removal of Radar arch

Post by Serenity »

I am running into difficulty in running a new radar cable through the radar arch. The opening in the tube is not being co-opertive. Especially with the burrs. In looking at it, the arch appears to be held down by 4 bolts. However, I do not see any nuts in the helm area. Are the nuts encapsulated in the glass? Is it as simple as to remove the bolts and lift off the arch?

Thanks just another project in the works before splash time.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Removal of Radar arch

Post by Pitou »

You've got it figured out Max. Been there a couple of times. Completely remove the bolts on the side of the arch that you want to feed the cable through and loosen the opposite side so that you can lift the arch. Most likely it will also be secured with caulking that will need to be broken. When you're done, clean the caulk off and a apply a fresh bead to prevent water intrusion. Life Caulk works well for this application.

Have fun. :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Max,
I went thru this late last fall when I installed a new Omni directional antenna. I thought it would be relatively easy in that our new Standard Horizon GPS didn't need the cable connection as it operated fine thru it's internal one, so I thought I'd open the panel next to passenger seat and remove the spare cable, pulling the new TV cable with it. 1st reveleation was that the GPS cable was run thru the radar arch and then down the starboard side panel. Again, I thought OK, no big deal, I'll just pull that thru with a leader string (actually steel cable as I thought any kind of string would cut off on all the sharp corners) and then pull the new cable back thru. I have a tendency to underestimate stuff! So I then found out it shares "space" in that tube with the radar wire and haler. And yes, those little holes in the radar arch w/burrs are horrible. It became a 2 man job w/one pulling and one feeding ever so slowly and carefully, jiggling the cable back and forth, twisting it a little, anything we could think of to get it worked thru and then back again to the new antenna. Took a little over an hour of feeding time thru the arch. I've enclosed a picture of where the cable exits the arch thru a rough cut in the fiberglass and then one of the panel are w/the TV cable pulled thru.
DSCN2016.JPG
DSCN2017.JPG
If your intent is to remove the arch altogether and you're configure like I was w/the radar and haler, you've got a lot of equipment to remove.
Jensen Mounted.JPG
I highly recommend some patience and persistence in feeding the cable versus removal, but that's just One Man's Opinion. Good Luck w/the Project!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

That arch is a pain. I had the crazy idea of boring up into the port side to allow installation of cabling for one more GPS sensor. The boring project is still not complete 2 seasons later. I'm not even convinced they used an aluminum plate to weld the bottom of the arch to, even though it looks like aluminum. A great excuse to buy new, larger, sharper, harder, longer drill bits. So once I get the hole bored I can probably fish the cable OK with the nylon fish I got for quite a reasonable price at Harbor Freight.

I think Kevin is right, just unrig or otherwise loosen all the cabling, pull the bolts - which DO NOT have nuts, that's right - work the adhesive loose, and lay the arch down. Maybe I'll try that THIS summer.

By the way, NEVER use 3M 5200 on a boat. 4200 maybe, but 5200 flies in the face of every rule about maintenance: You need to be able to take it apart to clean it, change it out, fix it, lube it, and stop the leak. I know, there are ways to undo 5200 but they all waste time and effort.

Good luck.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Joe, I am still working on it. I decided to perform a little PM on my windlass, but the Good Windlass is not so good anymore. The weather on Long Island has been on and off, mostly off, considering it is "Spring". In effect, my scheduling has been somewhat not according to plan. Today it might hit 50. It does make you wonder, what came first the hole in the arch or the plate they used to cover it?
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I decided not to lift and shift the arch. I was able to remove the old radar cable and install the new cable as well as the coax for the TV antennae. I cut the cable from the old radar dome about 8 " and drilled a 3/4" hole underneath the arch. Worked great, but would have been easier to have some one pull while I pushed, or vice a versa.

I used a short piece of spiral wrap to prevent chafing. All done and I can see my house on the radar unit from 20 feet away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

Not to get off the subject, but what brand and size our your rod holders on your arch?
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

They are Lee, size 4 purchased from Star Marine Depot @ $83.00 a piece.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

Thank you for the information. Good luck with your project.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Radar and electronics are all done and working. The final project is the windlass should have it done tomorrow
Max
Serenity 98 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”