• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boat zincs (.com)

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Boat zincs (.com)

Post by jleonard »

I don't know how many of you have heard of or use http://www.boatzincs.com but I have to give them big KUDOS
I have been using them for a few years now, and their free shipping on orders over $100 is awesome. And their service is better than outstanding.
I just ordered a gallon of bottom paint and all my zincs yesterday afternoon.
They were delivered this morning! :mrgreen: during the snowstorm. :lol:

How can you beat that? Less than 24 hours
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Boat zincs (.com)

Post by RobS »

DITTO, haven't bought a zinc anywhere else in over 5 years, that includes engine and hull.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I've been on this train for a long time as well / engine, gen-set, rudder, trim tabs, prop nut & bow thruster . Ordered my zincs from them at the Boston Boat Show this year. Having a couple of thruster zincs in reserve my order totaled about $ 85.00 / $ 15 short of the $ 100 minimum to receive free shipping. The owner said close enough for free shipping for a loyal customer as he pulled my previous orders up on his laptop. They arrived in one day via UPS.

A few years back at the show I said how it sure would be nice if the thruster zinc included a new stainless steel prop nut. They thought that was a good idea too and low and behold; future thruster zincs had ss prop nuts in the packaging. 8) There's a company that showed that they care about customer relationships and actually consider ideas that hit the suggestion box. Very nice.

Fantastic pricing as well! :D
Last edited by Pitou on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Great to know! Thanks for posting.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

Just a +1 I've been using them for a while. For my boat and one I take care of. Good outfit!!
kirley
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: moss landing ca.

Post by kirley »

Just thinking, were is a good place to buy zincs---BAMB-- you guys rock!
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDENTON, NC

Post by halfmoon »

Ordered my zincs and they arrived pronto. But, when removing the old zincs, two out of the four I removed resulted in a bolt removed and zinc rod remains still in place. It looked like a piece of chalk in the opening. No room around it to allow extraction with needle nosed pliers. Anyone else had that experience? Should I try a vacuum on it? Suggestions please.
rellwood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Catharines Ontario

Post by rellwood »

For fresh water boat anodes, not engine, magnesium is recommended. I can find source for rudder & trim tab magnesium anodes (Martyr), but am unable to source a magnesium limited clearance anode for the 1 1/2" shaft. The LC dimensions would be 1 1/2" dia x 3" OD x 1 1/4" length. Presently fitted with a zinc LC. 2002 28TE with Yanmar and I think zinc anodes were installed at time of manufacture. Any assistance would be appreciated. Boating in the Great Lakes.
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Gunny »

Have used them for a couple of years. Great product and speedy service. Prices are very good!
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Val and I took a drive down in December,just shy of 1200 miles return.Great store,great staff,and best of all we came home with what we were after,at a reasonable price.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Since the engine is only 4 years old with less than 200 hours I had spot checked the anodes and saw nothing crazy. I decided to have all the anodes replaced at winter haul out. Glad I did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

:shock:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Serenity wrote:Since the engine is only 4 years old with less than 200 hours I had spot checked the anodes and saw nothing crazy. I decided to have all the anodes replaced at winter haul out. Glad I did.
Yikes! Rule of thumb, replace when at 50%. Way overdue. Degradation of the anodes has nothing to due with hours. I have 2 that tend to degrade sooner than the others and one of them occasionally gets changed out mid-season ... the one at the bottom of my aftercooler.

I've found that the winterizing antifreeze can degrade them quickly if they sit in a bath of it over the winter. I remove them from the brass plugs at decommissioning and replace in the spring. I have a couple that tend to degrade
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

I agree with Kevin that the zinc at the bottom of the aftercooler (on a Cummins 6BTA) wears out faster than the others. It just sits in salt water for hours upon hours. A fresh water flush will help, but it will still be sitting it water all the time. The zinc at the top of the after cooler will last much longer since it is only exposed to salt water while the engine is running. If the anode at the top of the aftercooler is the one you check (because it is the easiest to get to !), then you will have a false sense of security about the other zincs.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Same deal with the 6LP, the zinc on the heat exchanger cap is a PITA to get to and always the one most in need of replacement. Here's the line-up after a routine replacement. The end ones are new for comparison purposes. The heat exchanger cap zinc is far right.

John,
How do we electronically throw rotten tomatoes at Max ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “General Discussion”