• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dock whip, stand-off mooring?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Dock whip, stand-off mooring?

Post by Pasteur »

I've got a 28 TE located on Narragansett Bay. My dock is in a location that sees a good amount of traffic from recreational and commercial traffic. We've got about 5'6" of water at mean low get about a 4' tide. Wakes and other waves can make things pretty rough. For perspective, I can always hold the boat off on my own but I have to keep an eye on passing traffic.

For now we only keep the boat at the dock when it can be carefully attended and we always use big fenders. When conditions get rougher we put an anchor 50'-75' off the end of the dock and use that to hold the boat off. I tie it off so that I can just barely reach the dock when I pull it in and then adjust the anchor line as required. I'm looking for new solutions.

The fellow that built the dock and maintains our mooring has recommended a "standoff mooring" using "large rubber bands" to hold the boat off. He knows these waters as well as anyone so I like the solution.

Another possibility is mooring whips. Based on what I've read Moor King looks like the best whip for my situation.

Suggestions, thoughts, comments?
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Dock whip, stand-off mooring?

Post by N4QC »

How about a boat lift at your dock?

Happy researching,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

I would think they would be ideal for your situation. I've seen many applications for the "Mooring Whips" that really work great. Just make sure that they are sized correctly.....and you're good to go.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
WaterLover
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Folly Beach, SC

Post by WaterLover »

We have used the Moor Kings on our home dock for over 5 years and they are amazing. I can't say enough about their effectiveness of keeping your boat from banging against your dock (without fenders) during all traffic and weather conditions.

Return to “General Discussion”