• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

F850 Good Windlass

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

F850 Good Windlass

Post by Serenity »

It appears that my anchor is stuck tight, and I mean tight, up against the windlass. In trying to get a hold of Good Windlass, I would have a better chance of dating Pelosi. Does anyone know if it is possible to feed out the chain and rode manually? My other option is to cut the chain. The joys of doing an R & R on a older vessel. However, pulling and installing new radar, TV and other miscelaneous cables gave me the greatest pleasure.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Chris & Dale

Re: F850 Good Windlass

Post by Chris & Dale »

Max,
Pelosi.....REALLY????? Yet another case of what desperation can do to a perfectly good boater. LOL

Speaking of Good, I went on their webpage to see if they had any detailed brochures, owner manuals, etc., and see the F850 is a free-fall. Are you saying the free-fall won't work? Aside from my free-fall, I have a release function on my Lewmar and using the supplied wratchet, I can loosen the tension enough to release it and manually feed it out. If you've got power to the motor & that won't move it, and your free-fall is jammed as well, I'm not sure you have much of a choice. Too bad the Q and A doesn't adddress this. Let us know what happens, as it's a boat and it could happen to my new Lewmar tomorrow. Good Luck
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I had a lewmar before and the ratchet worked as you stated. the good doesn't have that feature. first i wil check out the relays and circuit breakers. somewhat of achallege since the screws are rusred into an aluminum mounting plate. will advise. only 45 degrees tomorrow, almost summer boating weather
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Max,
Damn salt water. Good luck w/the trouble shooting....always a challenge.

We had our annual Blessing of the Fleet last Sunday and it was 62 degrees and sunny, w/about 5-7 knots of breeze....perfect. A great day on the water. If you're a movie goer, see Safe Haven and you will see Southport. Almost the whole thing was filmed 2 doors down from our cottage and in the Old Yacht Basin...you can see the bow of Steel Hers sticking out behind a couple of bigger boats. The arial shots tell the best story. It's why we live here.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Chris and Dale, I will try to catch the movie. Interesting, my wife and I flew down to Tampa last weekend for a little r&r. We stayed in the village of Safety Harbor. This place was so quiet and laid back, we were expecting Angela Lansbury to drop in and write a murder mystery. 47 degrees now and we should hit 51. Time to work on a "good" windlass.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I had it with the Good, the Bad and Ugly winch. I bought a Lewmar V-700 which I am installing now. Only one issue, I am at a loss on how to get that sucker out of my pulpit. It almost appears that the motor, which is below decks, was installed after the winch was installed... It certainly is not going to fit through the line opening. Any clues?
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

Serenity wrote:I had it with the Good, the Bad and Ugly winch. I bought a Lewmar V-700 which I am installing now. Only one issue, I am at a loss on how to get that sucker out of my pulpit. It almost appears that the motor, which is below decks, was installed after the winch was installed... It certainly is not going to fit through the line opening. Any clues?
Catch me on a PM and I'll work with you on your Good, I've had them in and out a few times. BTW I like them and would be interested in your junk.

My experience was adaquate customer service.

Frank
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Old School wrote:
Serenity wrote:I had it with the Good, the Bad and Ugly winch. I bought a Lewmar V-700 which I am installing now. Only one issue, I am at a loss on how to get that sucker out of my pulpit. It almost appears that the motor, which is below decks, was installed after the winch was installed... It certainly is not going to fit through the line opening. Any clues?
Catch me on a PM and I'll work with you on your Good, I've had them in and out a few times. BTW I like them and would be interested in your junk.

My experience was adaquate customer service.

Frank

Frank,

Any tips on how to remove the gearbox from the shaft? We are just pulling ours as I am not happy with the motor and the tension arm needs addressing - only problem is I cant get it off the boat!

I've undone the four nuts on top of the gearbox housing but its almost like the key on the shaft is tight or the two machined faces have corroded together (unless someone has put sealant on them?)

I've tried calling Good but they seem to be on "Winter hours" and no one is answering the phone - I guess Winter Hours means hibernation!

TIA

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

OK - You have four nuts on studs (I believe they're 1/4-28) and two dowel pins retaining the two machined flanges.
If I remember the bottom flange has a lip that goes up into the top flange. Yes they are tight.
The lip is about 1/8"-3/16" deep. I have had to drive wedges between the flanges at one time to get them apart.
Yes you will scar them up but you can just dress them with a file when you are done.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Old School wrote:OK - You have four nuts on studs (I believe they're 1/4-28) and two dowel pins retaining the two machined flanges.
If I remember the bottom flange has a lip that goes up into the top flange. Yes they are tight.
The lip is about 1/8"-3/16" deep. I have had to drive wedges between the flanges at one time to get them apart.
Yes you will scar them up but you can just dress them with a file when you are done.
Many thanks for that, we need to get it apart as the pin that holds the tension arm was bent and we can't unscrew it, the only option is to drill it out and make a new pin, something I'd rather do in the workshop.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”