• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New SoCal member

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
bigkahuna
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: San Diego

New SoCal member

Post by bigkahuna »

Hello,

I'm a life long rag sailor and have driven ships most of my adult life. With the exception of a couple inflatable dinghies, I've never owned a power boat, and now that I'm considering getting one I am shocked at what horrible fuel economy most of them get. After much googling I found only a few boats which might be considered economical to drive and on the top of that list is the Albin 27. Are there any Albin 27 owners here in Southern California? I'm in San Diego and would love to see one in person. I like the looks of the "Albin 27 Sport Express" as its big cockpit would be perfect for work but finding one for sale is like looking for hen's teeth. ;) If anyone knows of one for sale in good shape please drop me a line.

Thanks,

Paul (aka "big kahuna")
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: New SoCal member

Post by whwells »

Welcome: There has in the past been several 27' Classic Albiin in the Bay Area. We have in the NW Albin group several 25' & 27' Albins. You might consider coming up to our Rendevous in Sept. at Port Townsend, Wa. where their will be 27's to view an owner's who love to share thier boat stories.
There is also the Yahoo Albin Group which seems to be almost all 25' & 27' Classics. If you have any interests ih traveling up please do feel free to contact me via a private message.

We do have boat 25' & 27' owner's who I am sure would be happy to answer your questions - but then you are looking to view one. i think the operation costs of the 25' reasonable comparable to the 27'.

Nice to have you in AOG & interested in the great classics. You are right about the larger Albins that they are expensive to operate as to fuel. The single engine model is less costly than the twin to operate -but only with the twin's could you back into a slip with a mere 6" of clearance on each side. That is expensive trade off - if you want a reasonable opeating costs. The 27' Classic is a great boat.

whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/flybridge
Trinidad, Ca.
kirley
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: moss landing ca.

Re: New SoCal member

Post by kirley »

Paul, focus on saving $'s on your purchase, three thousand dollars saved on purchase will buy alot of fuel figuring in high vs. low gallons per mile, buying a good running boat that needs no major repairs, and one more suggestion, buy a bigger boat now and save the $'s of buying 2 boats in one year, ( like we did, should have listened to the admiral) also, have the boat hauled and inspected! Best of luck, Jim!

Return to “New Member Introductions”