• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Purchasing an Albin 37 Palm Beach Sun Deck

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
WaterLover
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Folly Beach, SC

Purchasing an Albin 37 Palm Beach Sun Deck

Post by WaterLover »

I am in the midst of the survey/purchasing process to own a beautiful 1989 Albin 37 Palm Beach. I plan to live on her in the Charleston, SC area. Grew up as "crew" on my grandparents smaller 1970s era motor sailer Albins going island to island in Denmark. Looking forward to learning how to change the oil/filters and perform the regular maintenance. Am also contemplating doing my own bottom cleaning as I am a scuba diver. Any advice is appreciated.
Best,
Annie S.
"Three Belles" 37 Albin Palm Beach
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Re: Purchasing an Albin 37 Palm Beach Sun Deck

Post by marko »

Congratulations! Hope closing goes well and it's warmer down there in Florida or SC(?). I had a marine mechanic go through the maintenance on my engines the first time to learn diesels vs gas. Can't help on bottom scrapping as I have a guy do that. It's usually about $60-120 dependent on zincs required, time of year, set-up charge shared with other boats in the marina, etc.
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Gunny »

Good morning. I have my Albin in Charleston at the Ashley Marina. Have been in the Charleston area for about 12 years or so. This is a high growth area and if you plan to use your Albin frequently you probably will have to do the bottom at least every two months. I have mine done by a diver who is located on the dock with his business. He charges $2 afoot plus zincs. You can provide your own zincs and maybe save a couple of dollars. His company is Bollinger Diving and he utilizes a 27 Albin SC . Good :D work and a good price..
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome and Congra's. We all hope the survey and purchase is going as planned. Was not sure what the 37' Palm Beach looked like. Did some search on Yatchworld. Great lines and roomey boat. Enjoy and share with us all some pictures along the way.
whwells "Howard'
35te Sportfsher/Conv. 2006
Anacortes, Wa/ & Trinidad, Ca.
WaterLover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WaterLover »

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice. And thanks to Gunny for the local contact of a good diver. The sea trial and survey went great. A few minor repairs are being done, set to close on her no later than March 1. I am now searching for insurance and picking a marina. Probably going to dock her at St. John's Yacht Harbor, John's Island, SC. It has a great liveaboard community. Does anyone have advice for insurance?
Best,
Annie
"Three Belle's" 37 Albin Palm Beach
Charleston, SC
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

Charter Lakes Marine Insurance has been great for price and I've been using them. They shop the price (Travelers, Markel, etc.) and
I've had good support. However, I've never had a claim, so would support drop out??? When I first moved from the Washington, DC area down to Wilmington, NC my BoatUS jumped due to crossing the hurricane prone line. I don't know where that line is exactly, but someone here will, and you're further south still. Highly suggest including coverage for the Fed limit on accidental fuel spill, I believe it's $800k +.
Chester B

Post by Chester B »

We had trouble finding insurance for Florida during hurricane season, many companies required you to move north. We eventually heard of Seaworthy (a Warren Buffett company). You may need a broker to deal with them but they had by far the least expensive coverage we could find.
mdudley221
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hales Bar, TN

Post by mdudley221 »

Welcome,
I have a 1985 Palm Beach with twin Volvo TAMD40B's and if I can provide information to you, I would be pleased to do so.
I (we) have owned our Palm Beach (hull #2 of 1985 I think) for one year and are very pleased. Your future boat looks good in the pictures if it is the "sale pending" on yachtworld.com.
37' Palm Beach - 1985
WaterLover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WaterLover »

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I close tomorrow on my new beauty. Yes, mdudley221, she is the one on yachtworld with sale pending and she is a beauty (although I am very biased). I ended up going with Falvey XL insurance. The price was unbelievable good. I also have access to half-price membership to BoatUS towing insurance through my local cruising club here in Charleston. Plan to spend Friday night on the new boat exploring and doing inventory, as she comes fully loaded (even the galley) with lots of stuff and spare parts! Very exciting.
-Annie
37' Albin Palm Beach -1989
Charleston, SC
mdudley221
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mdudley221 »

Excellent!
37' Palm Beach - 1985
WaterLover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WaterLover »

Thought I would post a quick update on my new love...my Albin! The good news is that not only do I love her (and love living on her in beautiful Charleston, SC) but my 1st mate, Charlie has taken to boat life as well. Having my first twin-screw lesson with a captain this Saturday. Thanks to all of you here on the forum for making me feel like I am not in this all alone.
Cheers,
Annie and Charlie (the dog:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
mdudley221
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mdudley221 »

Great looking boat, thanks for posting the pictures.
37' Palm Beach - 1985
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

I am absolutely green with envy! You are living my dream, Annie! And Charleston - what a gorgeous city.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

It is beautiful. Nice partner there in the picture as well. Congra Again. Happy all worked out for you.
whwells "Howard"

Return to “New Member Introductions”