• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Replace macerator pump

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

thomaslong
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Orleans

Replace macerator pump

Post by thomaslong »

The macerator pump on my 1996 Albin 28TE must be removed for repair or replacement. It is installed behind the batteries, up against the bulkhead separating the helm station and the head. Does someone know a trick to get this thing out without removing the batteries and probably the engine raw water strainer to reach back there?
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Replace macerator pump

Post by Russell »

I mistakenly replaced the macerator pump in my 97 model shortly after I purchased the boat in 2006. The macerator blades rust and seize because of disuse. After installing the new one I noticed on the back of the motor a slot where you can use a screwdriver to turn the motor shaft and free it up. It has a cap you pull off to reveal the slot. Albin placed this against the bulkhead so you still must take out the screws in the feet of the pump so you can pull it away from the bulkhead. Yes, it is best to take out the batteries to give yourself some room. If you have a short screwdriver or maybe a coin you might be able to tilt the back of the pump up and avoid removing the hoses. I have had to do this on the replacement pump and it is probably frozen now since it is almost never used.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
thomaslong
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by thomaslong »

Thanks. You pretty well confirmed my fears about moving the batteries out of the way to access the macerator pump. Since it is 16 years old, I am gong to replace it with a new one, especially if I have to go to all the trouble of moving batteries out of the compartment. I will keep the old one for parts and/or a spare.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

I used a 2" hole saw on the bulkhead ahead of the macerator pump - access is under the head's sink. That allowed me to turn the macerator's shaft with a screwdriver but the pump really needs to be removed - yes, so does one of the batteries on that shelf - to replace the business end. My theory about drilling holes through bulkheads in our '95 TE is, the bulkheads aren't watertight anyway and such a hole could be plugged easily with any number of materials if really necessary. I consider the siting of this macerator is a serious design error, but so are a lot of other things about the boat.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
thomaslong
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by thomaslong »

Well, the new macerator pump was finally installed--after removing all three batteries, the engine raw water strainer, the AC duct to the pilothouse and the generator air filter. The new pump is ever so slightly higher in profile than the old one, so it does not fit underneath the water heater hoses as before. This actually makes the pump more accessible. It wold have been impossible to turn the screw on the other end without drilling a hole in the bulkhead, but to do that would have required moving the battery charger out of the way. I can't think of a worse place to locate that pump, which is known to need service frequently.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”