• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Access to VHF on 2001 28TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDENTON, NC

Access to VHF on 2001 28TE

Post by halfmoon »

Standard Horizon VHF is located just aft of the engine control. Need to change antenna wire but cannot access VHF. Can the radio be removed from the front/above? I don't have radio instruction data.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Re: Access to VHF on 2001 28TE

Post by Serenity »

Remove the 4 screws that are holding the surface mounted plate and radio comes right out. Remove the starboard panel aft of the captains seat and all the wires are right there.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by halfmoon »

Max,
I don't see any screws. Is there a cover plate that can be pried off to reveal them? I'll go to the boat today to check out that starboard panel aft of the captains seat. My boat has the Alaskan bulkhead.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

It is most probable that your vhf was installed with either a flush mount kit or simply with adhesive sealant. You are going to have to remove the access panel at your feet and look up to the backside of the vhf and see if the kit brackets were used. My guess would be that someone simply put a bead of adhesive sealant and dropped the radio in place, that's what I would have done...

This is a typical flush mount kit but it would be a PITA to try to do in the tight hard to reach space you are referencing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Moon, I have a 98-28TE with an old Apelco VHF. Since I am replacing my electronics as well as the VHF, I have pulled my VHF out. The Apelco was installed with a collar that slips on behind the back of the radio and is secured to the body of the radio by machine screws that are threaded into the bracket mounting holes. When the radio is slid back in, the collar acts as a flush mounting plate with mounting holes in each corner, which secures the radio to bulkhead.
If Rob is correct and your unit was "welded in" with 5200, you will need a razor blade to cut the bead. If you remove the deck plate at the foot of the helm, you will have greater access to the back of the radio. However, if you are above average height and your forearms follow the same path, you may have an issue getting your hand up to the radio. As Rob said, it is a PITA. At first I thought he was talking about Paris Hilton wearing a fur coat.

48 degrees now, time to finish the electronics. Good luck.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Serenity wrote: with 5200..
:shock: I would hope the installer would be smarter than that! A little silicone and she'd stay put for a long time, it's really just to keep it from vibrating and/or sliding around since it's a face up install (no weight issues). Even with silicone it will take a good wack from below to break the bond and knock the radio free.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

Since the radio is just aft of the throttle assembly, the easiest access to the back may be to remove the throttle assembly. After removing the self tapping screws that hold the throttle assembly, you may need to remove some cable ties below to get enough slack in the throttle and gear shift cables to pull it up. Access to the cable ties requires removing the panel at the foot of the helm station.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by halfmoon »

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the pry up approach. My boat has a second HVAC for the wheelhouse which obstructs the approach to the radio via the access hatch at the foot of the helm station. Things are tight in a 28 foot boat with all the niceties of our Albins.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I am thouroughly convinced that Albin built their boats around the VHF or they used Lilliputans to install certain equipment. :P.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by halfmoon »

Went to the boat, no Lilliputians available, could wiggle the VHF so it's not just glued in place. I'm thinking of installing an access hatch in that area. Of course that means I'll have to remove and use the router on the edge of the helm step.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Above you mentioned a "second HVAC" that was obstructing your access to the starboard helm footwell hatch. Is that some sort of a bus heater? Or just a run of flexduct with a register? Wouldn't it be easier to remove that and gain access to the footwell rather than cutting a hole and installing an access plate?

Here is the view of the underside of where your VHF is mounted, you can see the throttle/shifter assembly. It's not bad from below with that hatch out. I was able to get all the way to the pilothouse side vent from there when I had to replace the collector box due to it being cracked and having "factory" duct tape on it!

Also what about removing the drawer unit under the helm or the speaker in front of the step? The black box in my 2nd photo is the drawer unit under the helm seat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

All in all, working on the Albins is like exploratory surgery. I know it is here someplace. Good luck with the router.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by halfmoon »

No, RobS., it is a full second system for the wheelhouse. Perhaps I can take a picture. The removal of the drawer assembly may be problematic with the Alaskan bulkhead. It is difficult to remove the drawers individually, so it might be impossible to get the entire assembly out. Initial attempt at access via throttle assembly did not provide sufficient space. Lilliputians feel free to apply. (Assume Lilliputians get Minimum Wage.)
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Rob, I would kill for that starboard helm footwell hatch!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Nancy wrote:Rob, I would kill for that starboard helm footwell hatch!
I bet. I was in/out of there so much it took me 3 years to put the screws back in it! It gets screws now but no sealant..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”