• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mechanic replacing Cummins 1986 34

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Moonstruckmantis
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Carolina Beach, NC

Mechanic replacing Cummins 1986 34

Post by Moonstruckmantis »

I am looking for a mechanic in NC to replace the engine on our 86 34' Albin. Oh, I am also looking for an engine :( On our maiden voyage engine overheated and seized. The guy that we have been talking with comes with guite a few referals but my problem is that he can't seem to give us an estimate on how many hours/ $$ this may take. I do understand that there may and probably will be unforseen things arise. But would like to have a general idea, maybe even a written quote as to what he will be doing as we know really nothing about this. We have been told the the rear portion of the flybridge will have to be removed in order to to do this? At this point we have looked into a couple of rebuilt Cummins at an approximate cost of 5-6 grand with no type of warranty. Does that seem resonable? Seeing as we bought the boat in July of 2012 and have taken it out once I am eagar to get this rebuild done yet mechanic can't tell me how long he thinks it will take him once he gets engine. I am hoping for guidance/advice from more knowlegeble than me! Any info shared will be greatly appreciated
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Re: Mechanic replacing Cummins 1986 34

Post by marko »

I purchased my Albin Express Trawler in Annapolis, but for several years it was taken down here near Southport during the winters. The previous owners had the twin Cummins serviced by Tom DeMann of DeMann Marine Power in Wilmington, NC (which is where I live, but my boat's in New Bern, NC). I've meet Tom, he's very knowledgeable and used to work for Cummins. He's a little rough around the edges, but may be able to help you out. Setting a price range with service guys is always difficult, there are unknowns. Tom referenced me to a mechanic in New Bern who has worked out fine. I have NOT had any work done by DeMann, so... for what it's worth.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Maybe they are out of your price range but Cummins factory recon engines come with a 2 year or 2000 hour warranty. The Cummins dealer in your area might be able to recommend a mechanic.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Robb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Post by Robb »

$5-6k for a marine rebuild is very cheap an I would be suspect. I expect to pay that for a good long block. For a rebuilt complete expect about $12k, and $18-20k for a Cummins reman. The Remans are a really good engine, essentially new. Probably another $10k to remove/install by the time any issues are worked through. Just FYI I pulled my 370 this winter for a light refresh, cosmetics, water and oil pumps, seals, cooling system maintenance, etc. and I'm into it about $4k with me doing all the labor.
Robb Stilnovich
"Stella Maris" 1996 28TE #279
Cummins 6BTA-370
Tacoma, WA

Return to “Albin Maintenance”