• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Insurance renewal... ouch

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Insurance renewal... ouch

Post by jms02050 »

Just got my renewal notice from BoatUS - a whopping 28% increase. I've decided to at least shop around for another insurer. Curious to see who others use and if the increases are across the board due to recent weather events.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Re: Insurance renewal... ouch

Post by joreyn »

That's a big increase. As an insurance broker, let me offer some advice. Be sure you understand exactly what you are buying before you write the check. There are huge differences in what is covered in private marine policies offered by different companies. BoatUS provides a pretty broad policy which covers the hull, its machinery and mechanicals, pollution, and more and offers very generous navigation limits. They pay for salvage of a damaged or sunk boat as well. It is what is called a yacht policy. Many other insurers also offer yacht policies - Chubb, Encompass, Seaworthy, to name a few.

Then there are "boatowners policies." These are more limited in coverage and are really designed for smaller trailerable boats such as ski boats and fishing boats. There is nothing wrong with them, but you should know that they don't cover the tings you had with a yacht policy. No coverage for your tender (you'll have to buy another policy for that) althoughy they do offer coverage for you trailer (but you probably don't have one).

If you leave your boat in the water during the full cruising season, you really want to have a yacht policy. When the Gecko offers you a great deal - its a boatowners policy.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Hi. I sure do appreciate the advice. The challenge is always to do an apples to apples comparison - and I'll be sticking with a yacht policy. I still have sticker shock from the increase ...
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

Jim,

Where is your home port? I paid Boat US in full last October for this coming year - before Sandy and I am glad that was renewal time! We hail from Westbrook CT.

Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986 Hull # 3
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Hi - I'm out of Scituate, MA.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
Captn_Dwt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Cove, Boothbay, ME

Post by Captn_Dwt »

I switched to Boat US last year, after comparing policies. Their prices are competitive, but their service is beyond most. I'll be traveling this year, and I wanted good coverage... They even made it clear that my rate would adjust while I was on the inland waterways. Impressive. As for the "Sandy" increase: Insurance companies are in the "risk" business. They, as an industry, understand that the weather is changing for the worse. Ask them about climate change...they take it seriously. Be prepared for your home owners policy to go up also.
Here's to a good Summer!!
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

It's not just Sandy that is putting pressure on premiums. It's ALL of the natural catastrophes all over the world. The earthquake in New Zeeland, the Tsunami in Japan, the tornados in SE USA, etc.

Insurance companies collectively don't take in enough in premiums to pay for such a surge in catastrophes. To cope with this uncertainty, they buy reinsurance (in other words, they take out their own insurance policies against catastrophe plagued years). Now, catastrophe reinsurance costs have increased dramatically. As a result, property insurance pricing is increasing, especially in regions where the known catastrophe exposure is greater.

Sandy was undoubtedly a part of it for BoatUS, and they did have an extraordinary number of losses in that event. But the reinsurance industry needs to get healthy again after several really bad years, and BoatUS can't afford to be without reinsurance.

From the "glass is half full" perspective: premiums for yacht and boat owners insurance had actually been falling since around 1984, with lots of competition driving the prices down. BoatUS was certainly one of the main competitors. Even with the 28% increase, one still might be paying less for the same coverage than was paid on 2004. Just saying... :?
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Just received the renewal from BOAT/US - 20% increase. I figure we got off easy since we're not on the coast.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I've been watching the mail while following this thread and hearing other stories of significant increases. Through my Independent Agent, my Travelers Yacht Policy renewal arrived yesterday. A modest increase of 4.6% 8) . Every few years I do a comparison shop with BoatUS and have always found BoatUS 20% or more higher in premium. I've been with Travelers Yacht since 1998.

Still inclusive of all previous coverage including an agreed value of $110k, tender up to 16 ft. w/ up to 25 hp motor, machinery breakdown (this is huge), pollution & salvage, $500,000 workers comp / longshoremen, $500,000 uninsured boater, 50% reimbursement up to $1,000 to haul and relaunch for a named storm, plus all of the per usuals. Deductible for damage or loss is $1,100. For additional coverage my homeowner's umbrella also extends over the boat. I do enjoy credits for Boater Education and Safety Gear. Navigational waters are restricted from Canadian border to Cape May, NJ. Layup is from 11/15 - 3/15.

Once again, 2 thumbs-up to Travelers Yacht.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Let me join Kevin in saying a good word for Travelers. Have been with them for many years out west. Have always found thier rates to be good,
Was with Boat US years ago and left for better rates. I do understand the insurance claim payments in the south and east must have a huge impact on the insurance industry.
Travelers service is also excellent. Gove them a try.
whwells "Howard"
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

ACE American Insurance Company's yachtsman policy is also VG and competitive.
carolmarie, 2001, 28TE, 6LP-STE.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Thanks for the tip on Travelers. I got a quote from them, and they're within $7 of BOAT/US....but BOAT/US gives us a hefty no-loss credit, so the bottom line is 19% less than Travelers.

A notable difference is that with a liability limit of $300,000, the fuel and other spill liability limit from BOAT/US is $854,500, but from Travelers, it is $300,000.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Having spend many years dealing with marine insurance of all forms the best approach is to shop around with good underwriters every few years or when increases do not make sense to you. In my recent experience Boat US has not been competitive and Travelers has been.
Don
Joe/Fran
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North Kingstown RI

Post by Joe/Fran »

Hi just spoke to our insuranc co. SeaInsure after reading our policy. The policy states it will pay on the agreed hull

value but our policy declarations page just states limit of insurance, no agreed hull value, also our origional policy

states the value of electronics and engine is depreciated on anything over two years. Called the company and spoke

Danielle who told us it is a agreed hull value policy but our policy has no such wording. She also stated there is no

depreciation . Does anyone really know the answer?
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

If the policy says "agreed amount" then the amount shown in the declarations of the policy is the amount of the check you will receive in the event of a total loss. There will be no negotiating over depreciation, or "fair market value" or the like.

With yachts and specialty automobiles (collector cars), its so hard to agree on the amount of the loss AFTER the loss. So Agreed Ampout makes it easy on all parties. You agree BEFORE the loss and that's it! This is one of the best reasons to have a yacht policy and not a boat owners policy.

Having said that, how do you decide what the agreed amount should be? I advocate that you start with what similar boats are currently selling for, and then add on for any upgrades you've made to your boat (like that new Garmin suite you put in last fall). If you keep your fuel tanks full like I do, add in the cost of full tanks. THEN, consider whether you are likely to have to transport the replacement boat. If I replace Blue Moon with another 36ET, I'll most likely have to have the replacement transported from the East coast to Puget Sound. That could easily be $20,000.
Also, don't forget transaction costs like sales tax or excise taxes, and a thorough survey. That can add 10% depending on where you live.

Once you know what you think the agreed amount should be, then you need to make sure the underwriter will agree to that. Last year I got a quote from BoatUS. They would not agree to the amount I wanted, and offered $40,000 less. Since their premium was slightly higher than what I was paying for the amount I wanted, I renewed with the incumbent insurer.

If you can't get a reasonable agreement on value, go find a good independent insurance agent/broker. They typically have 5 or 6 options, and if the amount is within reason, they can get it for you.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “General Discussion”