• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cummins 330b smoking on start up. Normal?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

scotts15
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: SF

Cummins 330b smoking on start up. Normal?

Post by scotts15 »

I'm looking at a 2003 boat with Cummins 330b engines and on start up, the engines smoke very badly and they continue to smoke while at idle.
The engines only have 300 hours and they appear to be well maintained.
Is it normal for this engine to smoke so bad?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Cummins 330b smoking on start up. Normal?

Post by jleonard »

"Smoking bad" is very subjective. Diesels smoke when started cold. Esp when the ambient temperature is cold. Period.
The 330 has a sea water aftercooler. That will keep it smoking for a longer period of time than a non turbocharched or jacket water aftercooled engine because it is cooling the air charge. At idle a diesel will bnever really warm up. The fuel/air mixture is so low that thee is not enough fuel being burned to heat it up. It needs to be under a load to warm up.
The 330 has an air grid heater in the intake manifold. If it is working (many folks disconnect them) that will help reduce the amount of start-up smoke (but it won't eliminate it).
I had a new Cummins 270 (jacket water aftercooled) and it smoked at atsrt up from the day it was new. Once the engine temp gets to about 130/140 F it cleared completely.
Most diesel engines clear completely at that temp.
As comparison, my marina neighbor at the time had twin turbocharged Yanmars. They smoked about the same amount at start-up. My current Ford-Lehman (4200 hours) smokes a little at start-up. The Perkins turbo diesel I had smoked "a lot" at start-up. The Dodge-Cumins pickup I had smoked "a little" at start up. It was not aftercooled.

Bottom line.....normal.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
scotts15
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: SF

Re: Cummins 330b smoking on start up. Normal?

Post by scotts15 »

Thanks for the feedback. That helps a lot. Scott

Return to “Albin Maintenance”