• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Portable generators vs zincs

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Portable generators vs zincs

Post by Serenity »

There was an article in the Boat US magazine that the use of portable generators on boats will cause excessive zinc consumption. Has anyone experienced this condition while using a portable generator? The Yamaha 2000 that I purchased, is called an inverter not a generator. On another note, I have a shaft zinc and a 5" zinc on the rudder, should I zinc up on the tabs?
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Portable generators vs zincs

Post by jleonard »

What was their theory? Or are there test results/hard data?
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

First of all, my portable generator does not have a spot for a zinc.
Secondly, you should keep the portable generator out of the water for prolonged life.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

RobS wrote:First of all, my portable generator does not have a spot for a zinc.
Secondly, you should keep the portable generator out of the water for prolonged life.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

Here is a link to an article on the overall safety of using portable generators on a boat. It does not address the effect of your zincs, but it mentions some very valid concerns.

I suspect that the impact on zincs is due grounding issues. I understand that some portables have a way to ground them, but I don't know how that works. Your boat undoubtedly has a bonding system which is wired to your zincs. That is to protect against electrolysis eating away at your metal components like your shaft and rudder. The zinc is a sacrificial element that corrodes in place of steel since it is a more "base" metal. A generator that is not specifically designed for and wired for a boat can potentially introduce stray current into the bonding system and greatly increase the erosion of your zincs.

But you know, that would be the least of my worries. More worrisome is CO, fire, etc. to my way of thinking.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I certainly appreciate all of your comments. I can always count on Rob to offer his expertise. I plan to enclose the generator in a Nema 4X encousure with a snorkel so I can use it underwater while underway. Most larger portable generators have a grounding lug, where a length of 10 or 8 awg wire, even larger wire for 5 kw and above, would be terminated to a ground rod sunk into the earth. Same theory as grounding for pools and the a/c panels in your homes. The only issue that I had with the Albin was if I was able to mount the ground rod through the hull, I would have an insufficient ground when I was in deep water. The ground rod would not be able to touch the bottom while underway. Not a problem when anchored in 3 feet of water. Most ground rods are 8-10 feet. I think I will install the spray rails instead. :lol:
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Serenity wrote:....I can always count on Rob to offer his expertise.
John had good reason when he had me moderate the Maintenance forum :wink:
Serenity wrote:....On another note, I have a shaft zinc and a 5" zinc on the rudder, should I zinc up on the tabs?
Are your tabs connected to the bonded system? Likely to the rudder assembly or steering cylinder bracket?

If you wish to drill a hole (or 2 actually), my tab zincs are just fwd of the mounts for the trim tab cylinders. They are the R-3 (3-3/4" Dia.) size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Then geround the generator to the anchor chain that should do it.
I read the "blurb" last night in the BOAT US publication. I am not convinced that their comment is valid.
Yes the CO and gasoline stiorage issues are important but they can easily be dealt with to make it safe.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”