• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Winter Cover

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Winter Cover

Post by amber jj »

I have made a attempt to build a frame for a winter cover.I used 1 1/4 inch tubing which is for the top rail of a chain link fence.The ends are swagged so you so you can neatly add tubing on a long run,and then add a self tapping screw to keep them together.We found a supplier for awning parts and used these fittings to build the framework.All the fittings have set screws so the whole process is quite simple.The idea is to number each of the rafters and upright posts so it can be easily put together in the following years.I left the ridge pole high and level along the length and not follow the boats contour so we will hopefully not get any kind of a snow load.Not that we have had a lot in the past few winters,but all it takes is that one big wet one.
The next step is to pattern the frame work and cut and sew the material.We have ordered 65 yards of TopGun marine canvas.It will be made in 2 sections with a zipper and lacing.Two sections will make it more manageable.I hope to get 10-12 years service from this endeavor.I have a hard time justifying paying for shrink wrap every year and throwing it in the recycle every spring.This way to I can still get in to do some repairs.I will just make sure I have extra lighting.
The canvass should go on in the next couple of weeks.I will send more picks then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Great Lakes, Canada

Re: Winter Cover

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

Hello Bob, hope all is going well your way. The frame looks great! What a professional job. I feel your pain re the shrink wrap, it is a huge annual waste of money and getting more expensive with every passing year. I made something similar for my old boat only I used the cheap grey polyester tarp which I cut and sewed for a custom fit. I think I got five years out of mine. Cost me about $400.00 total and estimate I saved over $3K.

My Albin is still in sunny florida, no need for winterizing there!

Cheers Kevin
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Re: Winter Cover

Post by amber jj »

Finally just before our first snow we had the new cover installed.We could not be happier.It weighs in at about 90 lbs.Approx.45 lbs. per section( front and back).It is zippered and tied at about the center line as to make it easier for installation.If all goes well we should get about 12 years or better out of it.It will sure save on the shrink wrap charges .We hope it will start to pay for itself in about 3-4 years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “General Discussion”