• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 (yr 94) seeking bigger engine hp-any advise

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

watzhott
Deckhand
Deckhand

Albin 28 (yr 94) seeking bigger engine hp-any advise

Post by watzhott »

Hi there, i love my albin 28 tournament express. However i would like to ask for some advise on the peninsular engines ( the beast).

Would anyone give some advise and have fitted it with a bigger Horsepower inboard diesel engine. If i am not mistaken, the current engine is a 310 hp and it is fitted with a ZF gear box.

What would the costs be to fit a new peninsular or yanmar? What horsepower can i out unto this 1994 year old albin 28?

Appreciate all your feedback and wisdom.
ragman
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: singapore

Re: Albin 28 (yr 94) seeking bigger engine hp-any advise

Post by ragman »

my buddy change the beast to a Cummins 315(?) some 10 yrs ago and love it. No problem till this date. You are in Keppel right?

Best of luck in this major rebuilt
Ragman
Albin 31' in Singapore
watzhott
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by watzhott »

Thanks Ragman. It will be good to know the prices in the states. Which albin 28 has the Cummins? Where is it berthed? Would like to have some feedback also. Tks!
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I have a 98 28TE that went from a 300 Pennisula to a Yanmar 315 in 2010. The previous owner was having nothing but problems with The Beast. The swap was engine out, engine in. Obviously there were some adjustments, guages, sending units, throtle and tranny cables, etc. The total cost was just over $30,000.00. Boat runs great and I have less than 200 hours on the engine. My only issue is prop matching which has been discussed at some length on the site. Spending that kind of money is definitely a individual decision. However,
finding a slightly used Albin will run in excess of $60,000. Have fun. Maybe the bride will buy one for you a a Christmas present.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

If it were me, I'd shop around for a "Cumins Reman" package at 330 or 370 hp.
These are the best deals out there IMO.
It would be an engine remanufactured by Cummins and they come complete with a gear and gage package.
Happy hunting.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

I went through this in 2005. I had an issue with the head of my Peninsular (vintage 1993) and was put in the position of: a) pulling the engine and having it overhauled b) re-powering with a Yanmar c) replacing the Peninsular with a new long block. The Yanmar re-fit was probably most desirable but the cost is huge as involves a new tranny, new exhaust, new controls,etc. (on the order of $30K). In the end, I opted for a Peninsular long block. It was pretty much plug and play at about half the price of the Yanmar re-fit. Has worked like a champ ever since. The guys at Peninsular have been a pleasure to work with on the few mechanical issues I have had ( new starter, thermostat, etc.) (There is an argument that the Yanmar will help re-sale (if that ever happens). However, I think that effect would be minimal on a 1993 hull. )

Return to “Albin Maintenance”