• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine starts when in gear

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

ragman
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: singapore

Engine starts when in gear

Post by ragman »

Hi Guys

Recently my engine can be startedwhilst in gear, obviously a very dangerous situation. I change the key switch panel but still the same, is there a sensor in the gear box? That I did not notice that perhaps got damaged??

Any advise would be most appreciated in this dangerous situation.

Thank you all
Ragman
Ragman
Albin 31' in Singapore
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Re: Engine starts when in gear

Post by jprohan »

What is the engine? My Cummins had a remote safety switch on the engine itself. It may even be a simple cable adjustment.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

The neutral safety switch is usually on the transmission. Look in the area where the cable attaches to the shifting lever. There should be a "thing" with 2 wires attached.
Yes it could be an adjustment (most likely).
It could be a faulty switch (less likely).
It could be a shorted/grounded wire (less likely).
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
ragman
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by ragman »

Hi Jleonard

I am running a 31' Albin with a Cummins 450C and you are most likely right that it is a neutral safety switch problem. I am gonna check that switch this morning.

This is an important topic that all Cummins owner should know. Afriend of mine had his switch struck in the "open" position and could not start up. He is a pro however and took out the 2 wire and joint them together effectively bypassing the circuit. It would not occurred to me to do so in a similar situation, I’ll be looking at my key switch & starter system. Wrong end of the elephant for me in this case.

let you all know the results in a day or so.

Thank you all
Ragman
Ragman
Albin 31' in Singapore
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

ragman wrote:Hi Jleonard

This is an important topic that all Cummins owner should know. Afriend of mine had his switch struck in the "open" position and could not start up. He is a pro however and took out the 2 wire and joint them together effectively bypassing the circuit. It would not occurred to me to do so in a similar situation, I’ll be looking at my key switch & starter system. Wrong end of the elephant for me in this case.
Ragman
That is not a Cummins specific issue. Most boats are set up that way.

That said, mine never came with a neutral safety switch. It can be started in gear.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Back in the day, I had a Luhrs with a Perkins diesel with no safety neutral switch. One day after changing the oil, I thought I was in neutral, started her up and wham she hit the bulkhead behind me. Amazing, how strong the transom is on a 74 28 foot luhrs. :D
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

No safety switch on mine either...I was warned the day we went for the sea trial....been reeeeal careful ever since!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
ragman
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by ragman »

Hi Guys

I try to look for wires coming out a neutral safety switch but found none. There is a mechanical neutral safety switch which the local ZF people ( excellent follow ups) gave me and dismantle and it’s working fine.

I can’t figure out how when there is no wiring to the Cummins harness/switch, there is also no neutral switch in the throttle too, how then did it function all these years till recently?? Any thoughts would be highly appreciated, it driving me pretty up the wall.

Thank in advance for any insights
Ragman
Ragman
Albin 31' in Singapore
papafu

Post by papafu »

Don't leave home without a fully operational neutral safety switch.
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

I have twin Cummins 330's and a few months ago while a mechanic was working on the engines, he had me go fire one up. Did so at the lower helm, both throttles in neutral and immediately the boat went forward in the slip. He's yelling, I raced back to shut it off. Luckily the lines held fine. Ran to the upper helm and sure enough, the throttles had been bumped while under the weather cover. I have Micro Commander controls, which I think were not turned on at the electric panel (but can't swear to it now). So since then, I check both helms before starting, even with the control breakers off. Humm? I'd better do more investigating in light of the above.
ragman
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by ragman »

Wow Marko This sound V dangerous, many nasty things can happen. That is why i am seeking to solve my problem ASAP. Hope you fix your problem too.

Safe boating mate
Ragman
Ragman
Albin 31' in Singapore
ragman
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by ragman »

Hi Guys

The Cummins guys finally turn up on after a month and after some clever checking, confirm that i have a neutral saftey switch that was never connected all these years. After taking out the engine harness inlet, we found that the albin guys(likely) by pass the safety circuit with a short yellow and red cable. It was just a tiny loop of 1 1/2" and can't be seem till you dismantle the harness plug.

SO i'll having been living without this critcal function for some some 15 yrs but having never bump my throttle stick into gear and guess careful enough to always start in neutral, never discover this problem. Turn out the neutral switch was faulty and they by pass the circuit in order to deliver the boat I guess. It took 2 hrs of diagnostics by experienced tech to sort this out, so finally need to order new switch and rewire the circuit, hopefully it’ll solve this problem.

I will keep you all posted in couple of week when the part coming in from italy and is wired up properly.

Safe boating all
Ragman
Ragman
Albin 31' in Singapore

Return to “Albin Maintenance”